9. Aw, they're so cute!!

I'm running out of pre-written chapters... hopefully I get some writing done this weekend

"Please stop yelling, ma'am. You're upsetting the other customers," Alexander deadpanned. He'd gone through this at least three times today already and it was only 10 am. He really wasn't in the mood.

"No! I'll do whatever I want! My body, my choice, right?" The Karen smirked.

Wow. The Karen really thought she won.

Should he keep her calm, or absolutely destroy her argument?

Alexander made his choice when he opened his mouth. "Actually ma'am-"

Of course, the argument escalated into a fight and somehow, he didn't get fired and was let off with a warning. Lucky. He knows he's on thin ice. It would probably best to keep his volume low for the rest of the day.

-

Today had been too long a day for Thomas. His mind wouldn't stop working and wandering and wandering and wandering. He'd been doing research on the school and Adam's history for the case and somehow, he ended up on Alexander's Instagram. After that, his mind just completely wiped his entire memory of the day. It was just Alexander. Now, everything was about Alexander. God, Thomas hated him so much.

After a while of scrolling, Thomas came across a familiar account. Oh my god. Martha Wayles. It looked like she was well off. She was remarried and had a son. Wow, she was doing very well in life.

Thomas' finger hovered over the message button. He shouldn't. She hates him and he deleted her number. He wanted to talk to her, though. Why? He didn't have any questions. He didn't need anything. He was really that lonely, huh? Lonely enough to scamper to his homophobic ex-wife and beg for forgiveness? To take him back? Pathetic.

That's all that Thomas believed he was.

Pathetic boy craving attention so much he has to force himself to like a man.

Pathetic boy craving attention so much he makes himself a failure and will bring down the Jefferson name.

Pathetic boy craving attention so much he leaves his wife. A beautiful woman who would make beautiful straight-cisgender sons.

Pathetic.

So he didn't message her. But after Alexander, Ms. Wayles made her way over, burning herself and memories of her into the back of Thomas' mind. Every fight, every kiss, every time she convinced him to have sex, everything. He just wanted it all to stop. He wanted his brain to just stop functioning.

Of course, it didn't happen, but it's nice to want things.

Thomas was grateful for whoever just knocked on his door. Finally, a distraction.

"Thomas!"

He was even more grateful and thanked whatever deity was up there when he realized it was Lafayette. The man was basically the definition of distractions.

"Thomas, mon ami!" Lafayette brought them into a hug. "How are you?"

Thomas thought for a moment. How was he? Was he okay? Like, actually okay? What should he say? He didn't know. Should he just go with the safe option and say he was good? Should he just be honest?

"Eh," he decided. "I'm still alive, right?"

"That's the spirit!" Lafayette sat down and spread out all his files in their case. "Tell me, what have you done? Alexandre is upset at you."

"Hm?"

"He thinks you hate him," Lafayette said.

"Well, I wouldn't be taking the case if I didn't like him, would I?"

"What did you do?"

"I didn't mean to make him upset, okay?" Thomas sighed. "Let's just work on the case, Laf."

Lafayette nodded. He pulled out his laptop and typed a text message to Alexander.

Lafayette: Can you send us what your schedule looks like? We need to plan where and when to meet up.

Alexander: [3 images attached]

Lafayette: Thanks :)

Alexander: Say hi to Herc and the kids for me and Philip

Lafayette: Ofc

He looked over and saw his partner staring at his laptop screen, cheeks slightly flushed. He had a small smile on his face but soon started to furrow his brows and chew on his bottom lip. Lafayette quirked an eyebrow.

"Thomas?"

"Hm?"

"You are working on the case, right? What were you looking at?" Lafayette asked.

Thomas nodded. "Oh yeah, sorry. I just zoned out, I guess..."

"Alright."

-

"Papa?" Philip tugged at Alexander's shirt to get his attention. Alexander shut his laptop and put it aside.

"Hey, buddy. C'mere." He patted a spot in his lap for Philip to sit in and the boy climbed up. "What's up?"

"I'm bored," the kid whined dramatically.

Alexander chuckled a bit. "Do you wanna help me clean up?"

"No!"

Alexander hummed. "Do you wanna read a book?"

"Papa, that's boring!" Philip exclaimed. "Let's watch a movie!"

Alexander thought for a moment. Nothing seemed too important right now. Work could wait a bit. A movie sounded nice. He'd just leave his ringer on just in case.

"Okay, what movie?"

That was a trick question. They always watched the same movie and that was okay. The Little Mermaid. Both of them loved the movie and would watch it over and over again for the rest of their lives. Alexander had bought the movie and downloaded it so they could watch it whenever. It was their thing.

"Papa!" Philip giggled.

"What?"

"Papa, you know what movie!"

Alexander hugged his son in his arms. "No, I don't think I do."

Philip huffed. "Ariel! The Ariel movie!"

"Well, why didn't you just say so?"

Alexander placed Philip back down on the couch and made his way to the kitchen. Popcorn for the special occasion. He brought the steaming bowl out and passed it to Philip.

"Thank you, Papa."

"Of course, Pip."

Philip scooted into his father's arms and laid his head on Alexander's shoulder. Although Philip and John's death had majorly screwed up his life plan, he was so grateful he decided to keep Philip. It was moments like this he took the second to slow down. His son was already three and would be going to preschool next year.

Shit.

Since he was fired, he wouldn't get employee benefits like lowered tuition prices. Maybe if he-

Nope, nope. Breathe. Focus on where you are. You're watching a movie with Philip. Watch the movie.

"Look at this stuff. Isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my-"

Work can wait.

Alexander pressed a kiss to his son's forehead.

Philip can't.