Dina - I knew you were trouble when you walked in

Principal Sofer was a nice looking woman, with her brown hair in a tight high bun on the back of her hair and serious brown eyes under glasses. She was a little older than Dina's parents, maybe, though she had no apparent white hair. She always wore a skirt and a formal blouse, and right now she was looking at Dina over a file in her office. It made her feel weird, like she had let her down, or like she was in trouble.

"I called you in Dina," it didn't help she was also from the synagogue and knew her since she was a baby, "because we have this new transfer student coming, and she seems to be the rebellious kind," there was a pointed look to the file and back up, "so I'm assigning you to escort her this first day. Show her the school. Get a feeling if she's all the problem I've heard, please."

"Sure, principal Sofer," she waited for the woman to dismiss her, subtly checking the time on her watch.

"She must be waiting outside, can you please send her in?," Dina stood up when she nodded her out with a smile. "Have a good day. Shalom."

"Shalom."

She stepped out of the office, closing the thick wooden door to see the principal's assistant giving the stink eye to a girl slouched on a chair. She had reddish-brown hair, barely touching her shoulders, the top tied in a tiny ponytail. The girl had her backpack over her knees, and earbuds on.

"Hello," she smiled brightly at the girl, pointing at the door behind her. "the principal wants to see you."

The girl gave her a tentative, thin-lipped smile, nodding and murmuring a thanks before entering the office. Dina sat at the chair beside the now empty one, stretching her legs and taking her phone out.

'where are you?', she read the message from Jesse, immediately unblocking and typing an answer.

'Principal's office. We have a new student!'

'transfer student? she looks cool?', she could sense his curiosity through the phone.

Dina stopped, thinking for a second. 'Hard to say. She looks shy.'

'cool. also, i need help with math :(,' he said, and she could almost see his sad face in front of her.

She chuckled, and heard the doorknob twisting, quickly typing away a 'I'll help you at lunch. GTG'

The girl opened the door, her green flannel open over a white t-shirt and lines on her forehead.

"Uh- hello," her voice was a little raspy and she looked over her shoulder in time to see Sofer closing the door. "You showing me the school?"

"Yes," she smiled again, extending her hand towards her, "I'm Dina."

The girl was a bit taller then her, and narrowed her eyes with curiosity before shaking her hand, "Ellie."

Ellie's hand was cold, and she was quick to retrieve it and scratch the back of her neck.

"So, can I see your timetable?" she asked, leading her out of the anteroom. Ellie took a folded paper off her pocket and silently handed it over.

Dina squickly canned it, checking how far her next class was from hers and then the map on the other paper. She explained the names of the buildings, how the numbers signaled the floor and the rooms while she walked Ellie to her History class.

"Be careful with Ms. Simmons," she said in a conspiratory voice, making Ellie tilt her body towards her, "she can be really boring. And evil," she smiled again, walking back at waving, "Follow the horde, I'll come back to walk you to Geography!"