Dina - And now I'm having more fun

Dina tried her best not to smile as Ellie led her up the stairs to her apartment, talking about the comic book they just bought at the indie bookshop on the other side of town. Her eyes were bright and she looked cute in her shorts and oversized shirt.

Ellie put her keys in the lock, stopping for a second to look back at her, her shoulder resting on the door as she narrowed her eyes at Dina.

"What?" she tried her most innocent voice.

"You're on to something. I can feel it," Ellie held her gaze but Dina rolled her eyes.

"No, I am not." Ellie didn't move so poked her side, "c'mon Ellie, I'm hungry."

She made her lips in a thin line and her brows were together as she analysed her. Dina looked back at her with puppy eyes and Ellie sighed.

"Fine."

She finally twisted the handle and opened the door.

"Happy birthday!" she heard a dozen different voices yelling, and she smiled.

Ellie was frozen on the door, a slight smile on her face. She let Dina close the door behind them, and she looked back at her, her eyes narrowed again, but now with a grin on her lips.

"I knew you were doing some shit."

"Shut up," she pushed her down into the living room.

"How did you know?"

"Obviously not from you," Ellie rolled her eyes. "I have my sources."

"Do they start with Jo- and end with -el?"

But before Dina could say anything, all of their friends were around her, wishing her a happy birthday and asking why she didn't warn them it was her birthday. But she just shrugged, thanking them and making them all sit in the living room.

Dina watched as Joel put a hand on her shoulder and gave her a little packet. Their conversation was short and she couldn't hear it over their friends' voices, but Ellie smiled and hugged him briefly before disappearing down the corridor.

They sat in the living room, talking about nothing as the minutes became hours. Ellie looked happy, but Dina couldn't help but notice the shadows under her eyes and the way she had to hold back a yawn sometimes.

Weird.

They sang while Ellie stood awkwardly behind the cake and then ate the first piece. After that, some of them started to return home, wishing Ellie a happy rest of birthday and she kept smiling at them until it was just her, Joel, Ellie and Jesse.

"Tommy and Maria will be comin' tomorrow," Joel said, sipping on hid coffee. "so you can't sleep til noon."

Ellie groaned, "Fine."

He nodded at them and walked back into the corridor, and Ellie stretched her legs, propping them up in the centre table.

"So. What you guys wanna do?"

"I mean, it's your birthday, so..." Jesse trailed off.

"When it's your birthday?" she asked back. "I don't know why I've never asked."

"It was in April," Dina said and Ellie furrowed her brow at her. She had an idea of what she was thinking, but she also knew Ellie wouldn't ask so Dina wouldn't need to explain she didn't say anything because of Cat.

"Mine's in September," he looked at them, "I'm old."

They laughed, and Ellie turned the TV on so they could watch a movie. She put on an action movie Dina had never seen before and sat between them on the couch.