Ellie - Little things made me who I am today

People at school seemed to just ignore her now. She had been new and people liked to talk about new things, but after a month she was just another student, and the gossip mostly died. Ellie could walk without whispers following her, even though no one really had the interest to talk to her beside Dina and her friends.

She would be lying if she said her heart wasn't warming up to this idea of friendship.

At first she was suspicious Dina didn't really mean what she said at the cafe. That she had just said that without real intentions behind, and she kept her distance, unsure. But slowly, as the weeks progressed and none of them acted differently, as they just welcomed her, she started to feel more at ease.

It was weird, after what happened before, to see herself starting to trust in friendship again.

They never asked again what happened, and she was grateful for that but sometimes, when she looked at them, she couldn't help but feel the cold fear in her stomach that it will happen once more. That they will turn their backs to her, and she will be alone again.

It was colder now, so she wore a hoodie and a jacket on top of her shirt to go to school. The wind was blowing hard, making it fucking annoying to walk and get to the school grounds. The days were getting shorter and she was getting grumpier.

Ellie walked through the corridors, now fuller with kids trying to protect themselves from the cold. Mobs of students were grouped together in the corridors, each looking at grid scores posted on the walls. It was chaos. People were pushing and angling themselves trying to take a look at their grades.

She rolled her eyes, enjoying the opportunity to get faster to her locker and then to her classroom. She could just check it later when there was no one there, it wasn't like it would grow fucking legs and walk away.

She grinned at herself when the Geography classroom was almost empty, and so she sat in the back row, close to the window. Mr. Boulos was sitting at his desk, sorting through some papers, so the first line of desks were still dry.

Her phone buzzed on her pocket.

Jesse: dina, did you check the grades on the corridors yet?

Dina: Not yet, why?

Mike: someone got really close to you

Jesse: yeah

Jesse: i think they got like

Jesse: 1.23% less?

Lucas: wtf

Lucas: who stole my second place

Dina: Wow

Bonnie: can't believe u guys r discussing SECOND PLACE

Bonnie: what about us

Lucas: what about everything we've been through?

Emma: cry, peasant

Lucas: EmMA lmao

Emma: she knows we'll help her

Bonnie: U BETTER

Dina: wbu Ellie?

Ellie: not yet

Ellie: i ran for geography

Jesse: smart

Mike: smart

Emma: smart

It still felt pretty weird how chill they were. Maybe it was just because she wasn't used to it and she was thinking too much about it. They were growing on her, and Ellie felt happy when she had lunch with them, when Dina hugged her and when she high-fived Jesse and Lucas. She was starting to feel like she belonged.