Lost In The Future

After you had taken your last breath, Five held you close to him. Kneeling there with you in his arms he solemnly thought about what he had done. Why did he do it? Why did he have to get so angry and run away? Why couldn't he have just listened and sat back down? And then when you chased him, he brought you through time with him and he left. He told you to leave him alone and then he stranded you. It was bad enough that he was stranded in this time alone in this desolate wasteland but even more so he hated himself for doing that to you. All you wanted was to help him and he turned his back on you. How could he? You were his best friend, how could he ever let you go like that. For god's sake, your dying wish was to know if he was mad at you. You spent the rest of the however many years you had wondering if he was upset. He looked down at your lifeless body.

"I'm so sorry (Y/N). I'm such an idiot." He choked out

He was distraught. The more he thought about the damage he had done to you the worse he felt. You were his solid ground, the person he trusted most, his entire world changed because of you and now you were gone. This was the punishment for his arrogance, a world without you in it. And a world without you was one he didn't want to live in but he was going to. He was going to do whatever he could so that he could get back to you one day and stop whatever this was from happening. Making sure that you could live a life that didn't end in such tragedy was his ultimate goal now. He was going to survive and he was going to do it for you. Gently he laid your body back down on the rubble and got up. With the materials he could find, he made a small makeshift mausoleum for you. It wasn't the best but you deserved a proper gravesite. Looking at your resting place he said,

"I promise you I'll be back and I'm going to stop this. No matter what it takes I'm coming home for you"

Five picked up the diary you had given him from the ground and took one last look towards where you were laid. 

"Que mon cœur reste avec toi jusqu'à mon retour, ma chérie."

Slowly he walked away and started his journey of survival in an unforgiving world. As he walked around the destructed city remains he saw a newspaper box with a paper still intact. The date on it read April 1st, 2019. He had no clue how this happened but now he knew the date of when it would occur. And so he trudged on and tried to find items that he could use to help him survive. He had found a red wagon and threw anything that he could find that would help him like canned foods and pieces of mismatched clothing that he could use to keep him warm. As he made his way down the deserted streets in the rubble he saw another hand sticking out. Could it be a person? Running towards it he moved the rubble away and what he found wasn't a person. It was a mannequin top wearing a white shirt with black dots. Pulling it out of the rubble he sees the shirt tag sticking out. The tag read Dolores Clothing Company. Placing the mannequin in the wagon he brings it along with him.

"You're going to keep me company."

Dragging the wagon full of things behind him he made his way to an empty circular structure, which used to be the local library, and decided to set that up as his camp. He didn't have much and this world was going to be tough but he needed to make it through. And so this deserted wasteland became his new reality day in and day out for years on end. Five would spend his time scouring the city for food and supplies he could use. He dug through piles of ash and rubble to find books, clothes, furniture, anything to make life a bit easier. On top of looking for supplies, he spent a lot of time trying to crunch the numbers so that he could go back in time and stop this mess. The walls of the old library rotunda were covered in markings of mathematical equations that he hoped would help bring him back. As he recovered more items he started to make a collection of the books he had found. He took ones that were readable and not burned to a crisp obviously. He had read a majority of the books but there was one that he had that he avoided for a while.