Chapter 25 - Oh! Darling

As we drove through the Umbrian countryside, dark, grey clouds loomed overhead, and heavy rain pelted the roof and windows of the car

As we drove through the Umbrian countryside, dark, grey clouds loomed overhead, and heavy rain pelted the roof and windows of the car. I couldn't help but feel that the weather was perfectly matched to the bleak and gloomy mood between Harry and I. We had barely said a word to each other the whole way, and although a million thoughts raced through my head, I couldn't think of a single thing to say that would make the uncomfortable atmosphere go away.

-

Arriving at the Reschio estate, the sky had started to get dark, and the rain seemed to beat down harder than ever. I waited in the car while Harry went into the main building to collect the keys to our private building. I'd been about to ask if he wanted me to come with him, but he'd pushed open the car door and got out, slamming it shut behind him before I could say anything. Ice cold, Styles. Ice. Cold.

The lights were on in the stone villa which was going to be our home for the week, and I barely had the chance to take in our surroundings as we raced to the front door with our belongings.

Safe inside from the rain, it seemed to hit us both that we were entirely alone. I normally loved any alone time I had with him, but this was not how I'd pictured things being when he'd proposed a whole week away, with nobody else around, just him and I. Could we spend a whole week like this? Barely acknowledging each other's presence, and killing time until we left? I hated the thought of that, and I already missed home. However, as much as I wanted to grab my things and head to the nearest airport, I wanted to stay and fix things more.

In the living room, Harry went to take my suitcase and I almost refused to hand it over - a brave part of me wanting to force him to talk to me - but the look of resistance in his eye stopped me from saying anything. Instead, I released my grip on the handle and let him take it. Setting it down next to his case, he was then on the phone instantly, muttering quietly to whomever he had called as he disappeared into a room and closed the door behind him. Was he on the phone to Anne telling her she'd been right all along? Or maybe calling Jeff to tell him he needed to action whatever fake emergency I was sure he'd put in place, which meant that he suddenly needed to leave.

This was not good, this wasn't like any other argument we'd had where he quickly moved on, or I was the one who had been wronged. I waited to see if his call was quick, and went to get a glass of water from the kitchen. On the wood-topped island, there was a fresh bouquet of brightly coloured wildflowers, a basket filled with local produce that was produced and grown on the estate, and an ice bucket with a bottle of champagne. I read the note which welcomed us to the estate, and told us that they would be delighted to help should we need anything. Bitterly, as I dropped the note on the counter to go find a glass, I doubted there was anything they could do to help my shitty situation.

When I went back into the living room I saw our cases and bags still in the same place, and there was no sign of Harry. Grabbing my case, I headed upstairs to the master bedroom, which was located on the top floor.