Chapter 27 - Sweet Thing

After a few days of not really doing anything or going anywhere, I sensed Harry was beginning to get antsy to leave our little corner of the estate

After a few days of not really doing anything or going anywhere, I sensed Harry was beginning to get antsy to leave our little corner of the estate. With the grounds being so expansive, it came as no surprise when he pointed out that we could hire their lake for the day; we'd have use of the lake house, and it was completely private. Holidays with Harry were very different from the ones I was used to, that was for sure.

Strolling down the tree-lined, stone pathway after being dropped off by the Reschio driving service, as soon as Harry spotted the water he quickened his steps. He rushed us both to the edge of the lake and stopped to take in the view. Large enough that one would need a boat to go from one side to the other, but small enough that it wouldn't take long to walk the circumference, it was lined with trees and grass and wildflowers. To our left was a long, narrow jetty where there were a couple of rowboats, and to our immediate right was the small lake house, which had already been prepped for our arrival. It was beautiful.

"Are we going straight in?" I asked after a few moments of total silence, apart from the sound of nature around us.

Harry nodded with a grin, "Absolutely."

We put our belongings inside the lake house - which was small but perfectly formed, and beautifully decorated just like our villa. There was a comfortable two-seater sofa, a coffee table; there were a few directors chairs that could be moved through the bifold doors to sit out on the deck that overlooked the lake, and a small shower room. It was all so perfect that had I not stubbed my toe getting into the shower that morning, I would have pinched myself to see if I was dreaming.

I convinced Harry that we should go out in one of the boats first - I didn't want to admit it to him, but swimming in water where I couldn't see the bottom made me a little nervous. Setting the oars of the rowboat down, so we were adrift in the middle of the water, he carefully moved to come and sit on the wooden bench with me, wrapping his arm around my lower back and placing a soft kiss on my shoulder. He sighed happily as I sensed him relaxing, resting his cheek where his lips had recently been and stretching out his toned legs.

For a little while we didn't say anything, and simply enjoyed the near silence around us. There was the occasional splash of water lapping against the boat as it gently rocked, birds singing, the soft rustle of leaves as they swayed in the gentle breeze, and the occasional bleating of sheep in nearby fields. It was surprisingly nice to take a break from the constant noise of London, and just listen to nature. I'd always been one who needed some sort of distraction, so being in the city was perfect, but with Harry - and old age - I had discovered a new-found enjoyment for stillness and calm.

Quietly clearing his throat so as not to disturb the peace too much, Harry said, "Gem told me you two met up."

It had slipped my mind with everything else going on to tell him that I'd met and spoken with his sister about the falling out he and I'd had. Smiling as I remembered her advice that Harry just needed some time to calm down, and how comfortable I'd felt opening up to her, I was glad she'd been right.