Chapter 34 - Pass It On

On what would have been Will and Terry's first wedding anniversary, Rose, Dee, and I made a point of going to see him

On what would have been Will and Terry's first wedding anniversary, Rose, Dee, and I made a point of going to see him. Armed with alcohol, takeaway, and lots of sweet treats, the three of us barged our way into his house with the intent to do whatever it took to get him through the day.

We weren't the only ones who'd wanted to make sure he was okay.

I hadn't seen Mia in months, not since the funeral. She had her little boy, George, with her, and despite barely having any kind of bump, Will had already told me she was pregnant again. Despite my feelings of animosity towards her, I couldn't help feel sad that she no longer had her father around. He'd doted on his grandson, and it broke my heart that he wouldn't get to know this grandchild.

Mia's expression was serious when she approached me, "Can we talk?"

After what had happened at the wake, and the fact I was one-hundred percent certain she hadn't gone to the press (despite Will's insistence that she would never), I wanted to roll my eyes and tell her to fuck off. But, at the end of the day, she was Terry's daughter, and everyone else who was in the immediate firing line had been given the opportunity to tell me to my face that they were innocent. For Terry's sake, I felt I owed her at least that.

"Sure." I glanced at Rose, Dee, and Will, before moving to follow Mia into the kitchen. Leaning against the breakfast bar, arms folded, I asked, "So, what did you want to talk about?"

"Well, I know Will has already told you, but I wanted to tell you myself that I had nothing to do with that article." As if I didn't know what she was talking about, she quickly added, "The one about you and Harry."

Silently, I bit my lip in thought and nodded my head. I didn't buy it for one minute. She looked at me with big, blue eyes, her lips pouted in innocence and it left me cold and unmoved. However, I had been wrong about her guilt before - I'd blamed her for having an affair with Will when, actually, he was sleeping with her father.

A fleeting thought crossed my mind, wondering if maybe it was both her and Will, but the idea made me feel nauseous. After everything I'd done to defend him to Harry, and the arguments that had caused, I couldn't handle thinking my ex-husband was involved. Hadn't he betrayed me enough?

Once again, I was confronted with the knowledge that whoever was responsible was someone close to me and someone I loved and cared about.

There were a million things I wanted to say or ask Mia, just to see if I could trip her up somehow, but every time I went to speak, it simply felt like none of it mattered. I wanted to know who it was, but unlike the others, Mia didn't mean all that much to me, so it wouldn't be a loss. She would have to be the one to live the consequences because, in a weird way, she, - or whoever it was - had done me a favour.

With a heavy sigh, I searched for some answer to give her, but only came up with one: "Okay."

I shrugged my shoulders at her, pinching my lips together in a smile that told her I didn't know what else she was expecting me to say, and left the kitchen. She'd said her piece, I'd listened to her, and that was enough.