Chapter 36 - Merry Christmas Baby

Lucky

Lucky. That's the word that popped into my head as I looked around the large, softly-lit living room, taking in the view of my closest friends - my chosen family - as they watched 'The Muppets Christmas Carol' and laughed.

Dressed in cosy festive pyjamas, drinking boozy hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream, and bathed in a comforting, twinkly glow from the Christmas tree in the corner of the room, it was an almost magical moment to see everyone cosied up on the insanely large sofa. Rose and Dee were sat on one end, wearing the white and silver pyjamas I'd bought for them, next to them was Rose's mother, Carol, who had reluctantly agreed to wear a jumper with a snowman on the front, then there was Will in his Santa onesie and reindeer antlers, and on the other end was Rose's two younger sisters, Violet and Iris - quietly arguing over the last green triangle in the Quality Street tin.

"'You okay?" Harry mumbled in my ear, noticing that I wasn't paying attention to the film.

He and I sat together in an oversized armchair; more than happy for the opportunity to sit as close as possible. Legs outstretched onto the accompanying footstool, his fluffy, snowman-socked feet sat next to mine, and his arm laid across my chest as I leant back against him.

I turned my head to look up at him, which prompted him to kiss my forehead and tighten his hold around my upper body. Leaning up to kiss him, I ignored Iris' retching noises from behind me, and touched Harry's cheek, whispering, "I'm more than okay, I couldn't be happier."

-

It had been a wonderful day from the moment Harry and I had set off from London on our journey to the Sussex coast. There was lots of singing and laughter as we drove, listening to Christmas music the entire way. We judged each other on some questionable favourites, and got excited when we agreed a song was great or terrible, we did terrible impersonations of all the different voices on the 1984 version of 'Band Aid', and duetted to Nicole Kidman's and Robbie Williams' cover of 'Something Stupid'. It was fun, and everything I wanted on a festive road trip.

Harry and I arrived early so that I could meet the owners of the house and get shown around, as well as then giving me time to set everything I had planned in place before the others arrived. The house was just half an hour outside of Brighton, so it was perfectly located for when we moved to stay at the hotel on the seafront for the wedding. There were extensive grounds surrounding the white, picture-perfect country house; rolling hills with wooded areas, and access to a tennis court should we fancy braving the cold. Inside the house itself, the rooms were bright, cosy and welcoming, and decorated beautifully for Christmas. And, because the house was already decorated, all I had to do - roping in a surprisingly willing Harry to help me - was add all the little touches that I hoped would make our time there extra special. (I'd dragged Vicky around Primark like a woman possessed, picking up lots of fun, silly things that erred on the tacky side, but to me was everything I loved about Christmas.)