Chapter 31 - Latch

No matter how many times I checked, re-checked, then checked again that everything was as it should be, I always got nervous before events

No matter how many times I checked, re-checked, then checked again that everything was as it should be, I always got nervous before events. I would the whole journey to the venue, imagining arriving to find the building ablaze, that all my staff hadn't turned up, and/or that the client hated everything. Driving to the venue for Nick Grimshaw's event, I thought I was going to be sick. There was definitely added pressure knowing that for the first time, Harry was going to be attending a Layla-Rose event (I flat out refused to count the party Rose had planned for Will as one of ours because that had him all over it).

It wasn't only Harry being there as I worked, it was the fact that most people there would know that he and I were an item, and we hadn't actually been out socially in public yet. What fully sent the butterflies in my tummy through the roof was his casual mention over the phone at lunchtime that had I not come to Will's party, this was going to be his Plan B to see me again. It was no coincidence that the venue happened to be the same bar Harry and I first met.

"How do you know that I wouldn't have got Vicky to cover me when you accepted the invitation?" I'd asked, glad he couldn't witness my face as my cheeks flushed for some unknown reason. 

Harry had laughed mischievously, "I was just going to turn up unannounced. That part was Nick's idea."

His determination to get in a room with me again was undeniably sweet, and once again I felt grateful that he'd been braver than me to put himself out on the line for the sake of our relationship. However, I was glad things had worked out as they had because I couldn't imagine how I'd have coped with Bianca showing up and losing Terry had he not been there by my side. There was even a minute part of me that wondered if maybe - knowing that he'd wanted to see me - I would have ended up calling the number marked with a bit red X in my phone first; calling on him when I needed him the most.

-

Harry and Nick arrived together, and while Nick waved hello to people he knew, Harry's gaze swept the room until he spotted me. He looked at me long enough for us to exchange a smile, before turning his attention to friends.

I'd thought we were being casual and nonchalant until Rose whispered to me behind her clipboard, "So, are you two doing that thing where you pretend not to know each other? Kinky roleplay?"

Gently tapping the board she hid her face behind so it hit her nose with a soft thud, I frowned, feeling my cheeks grow warm like someone being teased about their crush. “We’re not doing roleplay, Rosemary. Dee's DJing tonight, are you going to be doing that thing where you and her pretend not to know each other?”

"Touche, James. Touché." 

"We're going to remain… professional," I replied, biting back a smile as Harry's eyes met mine once again. 

My friend chuckled, lovingly rolling her eyes. "Okay, well you both need to work harder on not looking at each other every thirty seconds. You both look like a couple of heart-eyed emojis."