Chapter Six: Imprisoned

"No... you're going to drop me into the abyss again?!" You pushed against him, frantically trying to escape.

     "Vincent?! You caught (n/n)?" Gilbert was running towards you.

     The hooded people immediately retreated, managing to go unnoticed by Gil.

     Vincent smiled and nodded quickly.

     You sighed in relief.

     Other members of Pandora were following Gil, including the man in glasses that you had nearly encountered before.

     Gil sighed and approached you, motioning for Vincent to get off of you. He did so, and Gil leaned down and... threw you over his shoulder.

     "Gah!" You felt a sharp pain shoot through your leg.

     Gil noted this and began to walk back the way he had came. "Oh, so you broke your leg? That explains it...," he trailed off.

     You sighed, not even trying to escape. You knew it would be pointless; wasting the energy you simply did not have trying to escape, when it would all be in vain since you couldn't run.

     At that point, you had lost sight of (y/c/n). You knew he'd be fine as long as you were alive and somewhat well, so you didn't worry about him.

     Several minutes later, Pandora's headquarters came back into view. By then, you were already drifting off to wonderland~.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Timeskip brought to you by Xerxes' cup of tea! Act now and get one while you still can!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Dreams of your past began to flood your mind. Looking up, you saw an orphanage.

     Only the memories of blood-stained clothes and rotting bodies were present in your mind at that point.

     The headmaster of the orphanage walked over to you, smiling. For how tall he was, you deduced that you must have only been 4 or 5 years old.

     He spoke in a fuzzy way, as if he was talking through some kind of fabric. It was only barely understandable, and you could only make out a few words of which he spoke.

     "Sorry... Parent's...... chain... welcome... stay..." That was all you could manage to understand. It was slightly annoying. You knew that your parents had been murdered, but you didn't know who did it and why. You were also curious as to why they left you alive.

     The headmaster urged you to go inside of the orphanage, but you had lost all interest in him.

     A tall, white-haired man with crimson eyes was talking to an assistant of the orphanage a few yards away. You were strangely drawn to him. You wanted to talk to him, to ask him questions because you felt as if he knew all of the answers.

     That was the day you had met the Mad Hatter, the chain killer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ -3- *Gil pokes you* Wake up, baka ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     You regained consciousness. The room that you were in was dark and smelt of death.

     "Where am I?" You tried to get up, but you failed in that, your left leg obviously broken. You screamed at yourself internally for allowing yourself to get caught so easily.

     As your body thumped down after your feeble attempt to stand up, you heard chains rattle. You then became aware of the fact that your wrists were bound to the wall you were leaning against.

     You wanted to call (y/c) to help you out of this situation, but you didn't have the energy to, and the chances of you managing to escape were dwindling into single digits.

     You looked around, trying to figure out where exactly you were. You noticed there was a make-shift splint holding your leg into place, and you'd been bandaged up to cover the scrapes and scratches you'd accumulated during your fall.

     The incuse was glowing on your chest. (Y/c/n) had probably been captured as well.

     It didn't take you long to notice a presence outside of the cell you were currently being held in.

     "Gil. I know it's you." You glanced in his direction. "Come on out. I can't bite right now."

     He stepped out from the shadows, his black hair falling to cover his golden eyes.

     You relaxed and let out a sigh. "What are they going to do with me? Torture me? Keep me imprisoned here forever?"

     "I can't tell you." He avoided your gaze. He was silent for awhile, then he looked up and into your eyes. "I'm sorry."

     "Hm?" You couldn't help but feel surprised. "What the hell are you going on about?"

     "I shouldn't have allowed you to be around Alice. I wasn't thinking right..."

     "Alice? The little girl?" You were confused. She was the person who first stated that you were an illegal contractor, but that could have been completely coincidental.

     Gil nodded. "She probably sensed your chain."

     "But I thought only chains would sense other chains...." You put two and two together. "Unless... she's a chain."

     "Precisely."

     You sighed. "Well, I'm sorry as well."

     He raised an eyebrow, genuinely confused, and asked, "for what?"

     Smirking, you answered, "for not being able to get away." The smirk you wore quickly faded. "And now... I'm putting you through this..."

     He very slightly blushed at the concern that made itself present in your voice as you said that. "Wh-why are you worried about me?"

     "Because I don't like hurting you like this."

     His facial features twisted into that of worry. "You sound like you're expecting to die."

     "That's because I am." You flashed him a fake smile.

     He went silent for a moment.

     You heard footsteps approaching and immediately went to stand up. You let out a yelp of pain, falling back to the floor. Your leg was still broken.

     A familiar crimson gaze rested on you. "Please, do be careful."

     "What are you doing here, Hatter-san?"

     "Delivering news."

     Your interest began to spark. "What kind of news?"

     "You could take it in either a good way or a bad."

     You sighed. It was likely it had something to do with you. "What is it, then?"

     "I've managed to convince Pandora to release you-"

     "Oh, thank god." You sighed in relief.

     "Under the condition that you work for them."

     Your breath caught in your throat. "W-work for Pandora?!"

     He nodded. "And we will secure your freedom."