Cigarettes

"You notice these are criminals, hmm? They're psychotic antisocial freaks. It makes no sense. Let me hit the Tier One units and I'll build you a team of pipe hitters who'll do anything you can dream up. I mean, you need real soldiers. Not these scumbags." We were in our temparary office. And Rick started to ramble off.

I groaned and rolled my eyes.

"In World War Two, the US Navy made a deal with the mafia to protect its ships on the waterfront."

"This ain't World War Two."

"It's World War Three." I say, looking at the ceiling. I still hadn't looked Rick in the eyes.

"What are you two really up to?" He asked us.

"It's a 'need to know', and all you need to know is you work for me." I felt Rick look at me.

"That can change with a phone call. We have friends too, you know. And FYI, Finley is in my unit. I can pull her away from you so fast, you'll get whiplash."

Amanda pulled her phone out, "There you go. Call. But without you minding her, your lady friend stays here strapped to a board in a drug-induced coma."

I tried to calm down, "Excuse me." I said to them.

I had to get fresh air. I couldn't stand in there and listen to Rick talk about Dr. Moone. I wouldn't. He's a liar, and I trusted him. I should've known better.

I pulled out my cigarettes, I only smoked when I was beyond stressed.

"I didn't know you smoked." Rick said.

"You still don't know a lot about me, Colonel. But before you go back in there and tell Amanda, my mentor, that we have connections to get out of this deal, why don't you ask me what I want first?" I threw my cigarette and finally looked at him. I shook my head, as I rode my motercycle over to the hotel we were all staying in.

I order room service late. I could never sleep during a thunderstorm. So I watched the rainfall, and ate my burger.

I was still awake when Amanda texted me about Task Force X, was activated.

I met up with GQ and waited until the Colonel arrived. "You talk to him yet?"

"I have no desire to talk to the Colonel unless I have to." I was getting my guns and knives into every pocket and sleeve I could fit them. GQ went over to greet the Colonel and I continued to ignore him.

"Alpha, Bravo team, on me." I stood behind Rick, as I was his second in command. Well, used to be anyways.

"Hi, boys! Harley Quinn. How do you do?"

The whole team looked at these people who would be helping us. I heard in my ear peice, I had a visitor at the front gate.

I motioned for GQ to come closer to me. "Tell him, that our guest is here. And I'm going to go get her."

I already knew the plan, and I didn't want to hear Rick's awful pep-talk.

I was excited to see my friend. And get away from Rick's yearning looks at me.

Katana and I walked up to the helicopters and jumped into the one waiting for us.

"You're late." Flag said.

Katana spoke in Japenese and I laughed at why she was busy.

I waited for Flag to give me the signal, he nodded and I spoke to the metahumans.

"This is Katana. She's got mine and Colonel Rick's back. She can cut all of you in half with one sword stroke, just like mowing the lawn. I would advice not getting killed by her. Her sword traps the souls of its victims."

I sat down in between Rick and GQ. Mostly, just talking to my best friend.

But Flag kept hitting my leg. "What do you want, Colonel?" I say in between my teeth.

"Would you stop that?" He asked me.

I fully turned to him, "I'm sorry, stop what?"

"Look, I'm sorry. I didn't think it would be like this between us." I looked at the others watching us. Trying to listen in.

"I'm not doing this here."

Rick then told them the lies of what the lights in the city were. Terrorist attack. The usual stuff.

We turned a corner, only for the helicopter to start going down. I felt both GQ and Rick's hands covering me. Until we crashed, and eventually stopped rolling. Rick pulled me out, and I coughed at the smoke in my lungs.

I said into my ear piece to Amanda, "We're ok. We're ok. Assets are undamaged."

We walked the rest of the way. I was in the back, with Rick in the front. I could watch everything, see who was planning on running. I whispered to my whole unit, into the earpiece, "Watch out for Captain Boomerang and Splitknot, they look antsy. Might make a break for it."

And they did try. Katana made sure to get to the Captain. Rick literally blew Splitknots head off and threatened the others.

We walked some more when I heard GQ, talking into the walkie, "Boss we got people up here."

"I'm on my way." Rick looked at me and I nodded.

I had his back even now. My heart was broken, but I still respected him as my commanding Colonel.

"Amanda we have hostiles, up ahead."

"Flag, get out of there. We're not here to fight them. We know that doesn't work."

"Copy that. We're diverting. Bump out second squad two blocks east. We'll pass through you, continue north."

"Finley, meet me and GQ up here." I walked to them and felt the stares of the others. "Finley, I need you in the first squad, you're staying with me."

I looked at GQ, "But Simpson and I command the second squad."

"You're switching to the first squad for the moment." Rick told me.

"Are you telling me this as my ex-fling, or are you commanding this as my Colonel and superior?"

"As your superior, Finley!" he whisper-screamed at me. "I need my second in command, by my side."

"Yes, Colonel Flag." I say to him and go to spy on the metahumans. I could see Deadshot getting a little too close, "Flag, Deadshot is on your your six."