wrong place wrong time

Jaycee's POV:

Most of December, passed by quickly and before I knew it the grounds of Hogwarts were covered in thick layers of snow and Christmas was around the corner.

It was a few days before the end of the term and I was at the Slytherin Table eating lunch with the rest of the first years when Snape sauntered over to the table, quenching any of the light-hearted humour among everyone.

"Are any of you students staying here over the Holiday break?" The professor droned in his usual monotone voice.

Dylan and I looked up from the table.

"Uh—yeah, we are Snape," Dylan piped up as he carelessly shoved a chicken wing into his mouth. Everyone snickered.

Snape peered down at my twin, narrowing his emotionless dark eyes. "Sir," Snape corrected.

Dylan frowned, wiping the grease of his chin. "Wait Jay—why's he calling me sir?" He whispered into my ear and I stifled a laugh.

"I dunno..." I smirked slyly, "Why don't you ask him?" I suggested, quirking an eyebrow.

My twin opened to his mouth to retort something that would surely get him in trouble before Astoria swiftly covered his mouth with her hand.

"Dylan don't be an idiot, he'll murder you..." Astoria said. Dylan was more mesmerised by the fact that a girl was touching his face to even speak, and was paralyzed, wide eyed.

Astoria and I exchanged amused glances as she shook her head faintly and took her hand off my twin brother's face.

I turned my attention back to Snape, who was impatiently staring at the group of us first years with tight lips and had likely heard our whole exchange. "Enough of this foolery. Are any of you children staying over the holidays or not?" Snape snapped in a drone of impatience.

I bit my lip. "Uh sir—Dylan and I are staying..." I piped up, as all my friends tried to scoot as far away from the intimidating Professor as they could.

Snape's sour expression actually did mollify as he turned to face me.

"Well Miss Hilliker, I trust you are capable of writing your name onto this list," Snape drawled in a bored tone, handing a piece of parchment to me. I awkwardly took it from his hands and quickly scribbled my name onto it. "Put down Mr Hilliker's name down while you're there, he seems to be lacking intelligence."

My jaw dropped as I glanced up at the professor. He didn't have to be so rude. "That's not very nice sir," Astoria piped up, glancing up at the evil Professor, her green eyes wavering.

"Shut your mouth Miss Greengrass." Snape snapped, grabbing the list out of my hands. Astoria looked like she was about to burst into tears...

I clenched my teeth, "Why should she shut her mouth? She's right..." I snarled at the Professor, causing all my friends to gawk at me.

The professor glanced down at me boredly before narrowing his eyes and swiftly stalking off to the second years.

"Nasty ass prat bag..." I whispered under my breath, once he was out of earshot.

"I don't get how you get away with speaking to him like that Jay..." Dylan pondered, and resuming eating his chicken leg like he had been doing moments before.

"Me either to be honest..." I said as I played with my good, accidentally spraying some of my salad dressing onto Bella, who proceeded to nag about unfairly she was being treated...

After lunch, Astoria agreed to come to the library with me so we could study for our upcoming Transfiguration exam.

We were walking to the library when Astoria suddenly stopped walking. "Oh wait—I've left my book in my dormitory..." she whined.