the yule ball

SO SORRY it's taken me this long to update...Here's a long ass chapter to make up for it. :)

Please vote and comment if you would like !! <3

*

Jaycee's POV

I had kissed Draco Malfoy.

And not only that.

I had done it willingly. I had enjoyed kissing Draco Malfoy. For several minutes.

There was no point in denying the truth, or trying to convince myself that it had been a spur of the moment thing.

Once I had finally pulled away from him and taken several steps back so that my back was against the bookshelf again, I tried to regain my composure. The air that hung between us in the dusty, dim, silent space encompassed the sense of exposure.

Because that's exactly what had happened, we'd both exposed ourselves through our actions. Him first, by initiating the kiss. Then me second, by pulling him back after he'd relented...

As I stepped away from he he wiped his mouth in a way that was still sophisticated in an attempt to remove the lipgloss that had caught onto his lips. My lipgloss. He straightened his shirt out and then ran a hand through his hair that had become dishevelled. Because of my hands.

His eyes slid to mine.

We stared at eachother for several moments. It was so silent in the restricted section that I could hear his elevated heartbeat, and I was sure he could hear mine as well.

Both of us were waiting for each other to say something. To initiate some sort of conversation. This wasn't an occurrence that could simply be followed by banter, or an insult, or petty arguing...

Clearly, he disagreed with that notion.

He blinked twice, before the corner of his lip quirked up extremely faintly, his eyes glinting. "Happy Birthday, Hilliker."

The boy who'd sworn he was my enemy had snogged me and then given me a fucking birthday greeting?

My lips parted as I attempted conjure up some sarcastic response that wouldn't make me look like a blithering idiot.

But just like that, he turned around and left.

He left me standing in the restricted section in the middle of the fucking night...

Perhaps it was for the best, the walk back to the Common Room surely would've been an extremely unsettling one, otherwise.

After about fifteen minutes of trying to collect my thoughts, I'd picked up the book that I'd said I was going to take with me, the book my mother had held in her arms. And then I left. I tried to focus on the heaviness of the book between my fingertips and the apprehension of getting caught as I trekked back to the Common Room alone. I tried to think about anything but the adrenalin that was still coursing through my veins...

Upon arriving back at the dorms, I was so mentally drained that I just retreated to my own bed and crumpled into a ball, immediately falling asleep.