Chapter 11: The Dark Is A Scary Place

The hands on the clock ticked by slowly as a servant poured us tea. I notice the constant glances she sent the Duke who didn't acknowledge her existence and instead stared at me. Once the tea was poured, only then did he notice her and simply waved his hand to excuse her.

She bowed bashfully to the Duke before turning to me with a slight frown, nodding before rushing out the room.

I look at the golden brown liquid in the two cups. Picking up the teacup, I sniffed the steam before putting the rim to my lips. I looked up to the Duke as the liquid touched my lips. He seemed to be waiting on me, watching as I argued with my thoughts.

Nothing is wrong.

He's watching.

The tea is fine.

He's waiting.

You will live.

Don't drink it.

I push my thoughts back. Hesitant, I opened my mouth and let the tea enter. My tongue swirled through the warm liquid for any strange tastes but could not find any. Swallowing the sweet taste into my body, the Duke finally made a move to his tea.

"So, are you going to tell me what had happened?" The Duke hummed as he picked up his tea and sipped silently. When he does this, my uneasiness dims just enough for me to be encouraged to drink more, but not enough for me to enjoy it.

I gulped down the warm liquid to soothe my throat, "I wasn't planning on it." He stares at me a second too long and looks away with a soft sigh. A knock interrupts the Duke from speaking any further. He sharply looks at the door before telling the person to come in. The door opens to reveal one of the messengers with a very urgent look in his eyes.

"Duke Vasilis." The messenger bows. He stands up and stiffens when he sees me. Terrified, he bends until his body is parallel to the floor, "Crown Prince Alastair! Forgive this lowly servant for not looking carefully!" He forces out with a slight tremble.

"You are forgiven." I say dismissively while still looking at the Duke, "You may stand." The servant stands from his bow, glancing from me and the Duke.

"Come." The Duke motions the messenger to move. The servant quickly moves to the Duke, making sure to keep a good distance between us.

"Duke Vasilis," The servant bends to whisper something to the Duke. I watch the Dukes expressionless face stay intact, even after the anxious servant stands back up.

"You're excused." The Duke waves him off. The servant hesitated a bit before bowing to the both of us, scrambling out of the room as soon as he's done.

The Duke sips the last drop of his tea before slowly standing.

"I hoped to talk a while longer but the King summons me to tend to some duties, will First Prince be alright?" Blinking, I stand up as well and match his gaze.

"This prince will be perfectly fine. Thank you for your hospitality, Duke Vasilis, I bid you a goodnight." I bow respectfully to him before turning to leave.

"Yes, sleep well, First Prince." I walk out to the direction of my room. As I am nearly there, I detected two figures following from behind. It didn't make me anxious, there was enough distance for me to retaliate if they ever try to make a move. I enter my room and close the door behind me, making my way to the bed where I threw my dagger before following the Duke out to his study.

Slowly, I hide myself behind a pillar with the dagger held to my chest. The two figures stop just as they reached my door and didn't move any further. I quickly formulated a plan in my head until it was fool proof and waited for them to make their move.