Chapter 10

"For the lesson plan, since it's Friday, we're going to be working a paper with our partner that involves answering questions and will require using a computer. You may speak English since this is going to be a bit more difficult task, but I expect everyone here to try their best. Since this is the first time that we're doing this type of activity, I will be grading based on completion instead of effort. You will be graded individually and your partner will be the person sitting next to you."

While walking around the room, she handed me a piece of paper as Jace got up from his seat to get a laptop from the cart. When he came back, we began working on the paper. It wasn't difficult to do, but the bickering between Layla and Cole made it hard to concentrate.

"What are you doing? That's the wrong answer!" Layla snapped.

"What do you mean it's the wrong answer? We're working on question three! The question is, what continent is Italy found on? The answer is Europe! It's so obvious that the answer's even on Wikipedia!"

"We're on question two, not question three for goodness sakes! Come on Cole, start focusing. What is making you distracted?"

"Nothing is making me distracted. You're just being annoying. Oh wait, that's how you act every single day."

"Are you sure about that? Can you confirm that you're focused and not distracted since you just got back together with your ex-girlfriend, Chloe?"

"Why the hell do you care about my dating life? And why do you care about Chloe? Does our breakup still hurt? Do you need an ice pack from the nurse?"

"If it's impacting the work that we have to do, then I have no choice but to care about it. I value my grades but if keeping them high means involving myself in your personal life, then so be it. I'm not willing to risk getting a lower mark on a paper because my partner couldn't keep his thoughts about getting back with his ex-girlfriend away. Also, we broke up over a year ago. It's bold of you to assume that I'm still emotionally damaged. Sorry Cole, but I'm not a snowflake like those other girls that you dated."

"At least I'm dating someone. Does the rejection from Alex still sting? I hope it doesn't, since it would be a shame if you couldn't recover from a rejection that took place over a year ago. I'll be real with you, I can understand why he rejected you. No one wants to be someone's second choice or rebound after they hit a mid-life crisis."

"That was only because I didn't know that he was already dating someone. If I knew, I would've never asked him out. I swear, I'm going to -

"Save the insult for later. We have to work now. You're complaining about me being unfocused, yet you ask me questions that seem to make the both of us distracted? What a hypocrite."

"I asked you a valid question! You went off topic by asking about something that took place over a year ago! For fuck's sake -

"Oh caro! [Oh dear]" the teacher gasped. "Cole and Layla, cosa sta succedeno?! [What is going on?!]"

"Layla e stata scortese me. Lei e pazza. [Layla is being rude to me. She is crazy.]"

"Layla, qualcosa da dire per te? [Layla, anything to say for yourself?]"

"Figlio de puttana. [Son of a bitch.]" Layla muttered under her breath. Jace snickered, Cole scowled, and the teacher's face was as red as a tomato.

"The behavior from both of you is unacceptable. You know what? Sierra, switch seats with Cole and work with Layla. You're going to remain in those seats for the rest of the year. Now get back to work. If I hear anymore arguing, you're going to get a detention."

"Is everything okay Layla?" I asked, switching seats with Cole. He looked somewhat pissed at the two of us while Jace attempted to calm him down.

"Yeah, but let's just work on the paper. You can come to my house tomorrow, right?"