Chapter 13

"You would actually do that for me?"

"You seem like a really nice person and I understand how you feel about being alone. Jace doesn't seem to be interested in spending time with you, so I figured that I would."

"In that case, do you want to go shopping?"

"Sure, but neither of us can drive."

"We can use public transportation. The mall isn't far from here. It's about twenty minutes away if we're using the subway."

"Are you sure that's a good idea? What if we get lost?"

"You're not from here, are you?"

"No, I'm from California."

"That explains a lot. In New York, a lot of kids use public transportation to travel without adult supervision when they're around twelve or are mature enough. We live in a pretty safe part of New York and I've used public transportation a few times before without my parents knowing."

"Okay, but I only have around fifteen dollars on me right now. I'm not sure if that's even enough for a ticket. Living in New York is expensive."

"I have a credit card so you don't have to worry about that."

"I appreciate the offer, but I don't think that it would be a good idea if you spent your money on me. Your parents might get angry and I don't want that to happen for you."

"They don't care what I do as long as I get good grades, don't bother them, smoke, drink, or get in trouble with law enforcement. Besides, my mom likes you and would have no issue if I spent a few dollars to get you tickets."

"Are you sure that she likes me?"

"Confident."

"I'll find a way to pay you back."

"There's no need to since the tickets here aren't expensive."

"Are you actually going to purchase something or are we going to window-shop?"

"We're obviously going to purchase something. I'm sure that there's something at the mall that you could get."

"I don't think that I could afford it. In a place like New York, fifteen dollars doesn't last long."

"No worries, I'll cover for you."

"But you're already buying me a ticket."

"Let me guess, you've never been to the mall."

"I've been there only once."

"You don't seem like the type of person who would spend a shit ton of money there. Everything will be fine. We can also get lunch."

"What if we get robbed?"

"Then hit the robber with a shopping bag and kick them where it hurts. Or use pepper spray. Just do something."

After conceding to Claire's idea of going shopping, we left the house and boarded a bus. No one seemed to mind that the two of us were walking around New York without an adult. I had to say, it was kind of cool that I could walk around without needing supervision. Claire got me a ticket and we found seats on the Subway.

When we reached our stop, Claire led me to a mall that looked much bigger on the inside. I had gone shopping with Natasha in another mall, but this one was much bigger.

"Where should we start?"

"With what's on sale, of course!"

"How do you know all of this at age twelve?"