First Meeting

It was the longest ride of her life and if she never had to sit that long again, she would be more than glad. She knew as soon as those doors opened she was going to meet Kevin. What did he want from her? Why did he have to buy a woman?

She gathered all the courage she had and stood from her seat. At first, her feet wouldn't move until the driver gave her a weird look. She didn't need her mother to know she caused a scene.

People were moving all over the place as they tried to get to their loved ones. They each had a special smile on their faces and she walked out with a neutral face, there wasn't anything to be happy about. Kevin stood off in the back with his hands behind his back when his eyes locked on her. He still hasn't smiled and she was worried he hated his purchase.

"Good to meet you, Amanda. Please follow me." He noticed that small bags she had and his eyebrow raised slightly but he turned and headed out of the parking lot.

It doesn't look much different than where she was from except she didn't an ocean. She followed close behind to make sure not to get lost on the crowd. He grabbed her bags and sat them in the backseat of the black pick up truck. He waited for Amanda to climb in which she wasn't used to and stumbled into her seat.

There was less traffic then back home, which would be nice if she were able to get her driver's license. She kept her eyes trained on the white line on the side of the road, though she could feel his eyes on her from time to time.

"Are you hungry?" He asked with a light voice.

"No."

He chuckled next to her and she was shocked, she turned her head quickly to look at him then blushed. Her mother was right, she was so stupid. She fell for everything a kid did.

"I know I don't feel like cooking when we get home and it will be late by the time Ryder arrives. You got to be hungry and tired from that ride." He actually had a smirk on his face, which confused her more.

"Um, okay that sounds good."

She felt more lost, this man paid her mother and yet he was being nice. Was this a front until they got to his house? And who in the heck was Ryder? She wasn't ready to meet another new person.

Amanda was grateful that he went through the drive-thru instead of choosing a restaurant where they had to sit in. She wasn't comfortable and her mind was still spinning from being sent so far from home. He handed her some fries with a chicken sandwich, as he asked which one she would prefer. He wouldn't let her shrug her shoulders me say it say she didn't care.

When they pulled into the long driveway that circled up on the front of the house, Kevin commented, "he's early." She could only assume he meant Ryder. Her heartbeat so hard she knew it was going to come up her throat and land on the ground.

She opened her own door before she could climb out, Kevin was there and stared at her with a grim expression. It stopped her in her tracks and she sat back in the seat and looked down at her feet.

"We will have a discussion inside since Ryder decided to come home early. We need to develop some ground rules around here and as quickly as possible." He held his hand out for her to take and she took the offer.

He grabbed her bags from the back and walked next to her towards the front door. She felt the anxiety as soon as he gave her that stern look. Her body was to warm and all of a sudden black and white spots danced in front of her eyes.

Kevin reached the door without realizing something was wrong. She reached out to grab his arm and he wasn't there. The world went black and that's all she remembered.

"Amanda! Wake up and say something." She heard a voice but didn't recognize it.

She shook her head with a moan, it felt fuzzy. When she opened her eyes and realized what happened, she tried to jump off the couch but was held back.

"Hold on and stay put while Ryder gets you a glass of cold water. We can talk here." Kevin smiled at her.

She waited a few minutes before she sat up and folded her hands in her lap. Her face burned with embarrassment. What did they think of her? Did he call her mother and tell her of the incident?

"Did you call my mother?" She barely asked above a whisper and gained her another weird look.

"No, why would I call her? What has your mother told you about this setup?"

She didn't know how to answer that because she didn't say much. He paid for her and her mother couldn't wait to cash in. Everything was always a secret since it was too complicated for her to understand.

"That I was coming to live with you." That was the truth.

He pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes. Did she say something wrong? She kept her attention on Kevin that she didn't notice Ryder was standing in the doorway.

"Okay, that is part of it but it isn't that you will live here with me. You will be living with myself and Ryder. You will have your own room and can decorate it any way you like." He took a deep breath like it was difficult for him to continue. "It is true that I paid for you but it's more than that. We wanted to save you. You will be getting to know Ryder to see if the two of you are a food fit. He has been talking to your brother doe months and has seen many pictures of you. You were never smiling."

"I know how I feel about you, just from the things that your brother has told me and the photos. I want to protect you and show you a different life." Ryder chimed in from behind her and she jumped slightly.

That was a lot to take in. Her brother knew these men and never said anything to her? She hated him, doesn't she? Damn it, this might be the perfect situation and her brother helped her get it.