A Contract?

The next morning she woke before the sun was up. She had a lot on her mind and she was a little worried about having the discussion with Ryder. At least she would know what they expected of her while she stayed in their house.

She walked over to the closet and smiled at all the clothes she owned for the first time. It was easier, to be honest with five outfits, she knew what to wear each day. It took her a few minutes before she decided on a pair of jeans that molded to her butt and paired them with a tank top that was made to pull down around her hips, though she was petite.

Before she slipped out of the room she grabbed a pair of flip flops and headed toward the kitchen. The smell of freshly brewed coffee hit her nose and she knew the men were up well before her. Since she didn't see an alarm in her room, she would ask for one.

That was one thing she was good at, cooking. She got lost in each meal when she could afford to daydream and none of them ended with her living with two strangers.

"Good morning, the sausage is just about done. Do you have coffee or juice in the morning?" Ryder turned from the stove to ask.

Kevin stood at the counter and grabbed pieces of toast as it popped out of the toaster. Amanda got neither at home until her chores were done and it was usually milk. She needed to get a woman's curvy body and not a child's petite size.

"I'll take the juice. Thank you." The orange juice he gave last night was better than the one with pulp that she was allowed to have on Sunday mornings.

Ryder stepped away from the stove and poured her a glass of juice and handed it to her before he finished the sausage. She was shocked but sat at the table, while the men moved around with ease.

Their plates were filled to the point food fell on the table when they sat down. Her eyes went wide as she looked at how much they could eat. Of course, her plate was much smaller but she was thankful for that. She didn't want to be rude and waste anything.

"I have to run a few errands but should be back around noon. We will go out and celebrate Amanda's coming to stay with us. I've always wanted a daughter more than a son." Kevin winked at her as he took a bite of his scrambled eggs.

She giggled but tried to keep her attention on the food in front of her. Back home there was no laughter or jokes, mom got right down to what she wanted to be done before she arrived home in the evenings. It was hard to believe she messed up so many times when there was nothing else for her to do.

The only time she left the house was with her mother, which was a rare occasion, and every Sunday the two of them couldn't miss church. Calvin had to work to help support the two of us since she couldn't pull her own weight.

She heard Ryder call her name; his voice was deeper and kind of rough and she quickly snapped back from the memories.

"Are you okay?" He asked with concern written all over his face.

"Yes, I'm sorry I was lost in my own head while you and your father spoke."

The men exchanged looks but didn't comment, he smiled and made sure to include her on the conversation.

"Dad usually doesn't have to leave, but some of the vehicles we work on need parts we don't have. It'll be the two of us until he gets back."

She nodded her head and used her fork to push her eggs and sausage around, she got the toast and juice down fine but her stomach was flipping now.

There was nothing to do as Kevin and Ryder were outside. He was getting ready to leave, so she sat on the couch and waited for him to return. She wanted to flip through channels because she could but that was childish and this house was still the unknown battlefield.

Ryder walked in the house and his eyes showed per shock. "Why are you sitting in the quite?"

She didn't answer him but he shook his head and sat across the room from her. It was so he didn't scare her.

"I thought we could talk but after you read through this contract. I'm sure you will have questions, but this will break the ice and we will both get an understanding of each other."

That seemed weird to her but she waited until he rose from the chair and walked into the kitchen. When he returned he handed her a seven-page pamphlet. She looked over at him for a moment before she flipped the first page over.

He wanted to know what she liked and disliked, which she thought they already covered. She flipped the page to see a page that started rules and punishment and a section where she agreed and disagreed with a why. There was so much more than the room began to spin.

He knew she acted like a child, but how? Her mother would never tell anyone that information so it would embarrass the family. Her heart stopped a few times as she tried to think where she messed up.

He was at her side before she knew he moved from the chair again. She couldn't focus with that damn secret being out. It wasn't like anyone would ever know that she loved cartoons and slept with a stuffed animal. Though she found a lot of baby and kid things cute, she wouldn't tell anyone or own anything.

"Relax you're only reading right now. There are no wrong or right answers. As I said this helps us both. For most of those answers, I'm sure I already know. Do not lie when you give your answers."

She nodded her head as the words on the paper blurred. Whatever the paper was for she didn't want to fill any of it out.