Almost Time

Calvin stayed for three days before it was time for him to get back to go to work. They had a good time for his visit, Ryder took them to the fair. This time though at heart and behind Calvin's back, she had a chance to be little and have a good time.

Her brother wanted to come back as soon as he could get some more time off and she loved the idea. The first night was rough, but after that, it was great to be able to spend time with him like they used to.

He decided to call their mother and then after a short chat let her know where he was. Amanda was pissed that he did that and when Ryder was out of the house. She stood there frozen with huge eyes. It didn't matter that she was only on the phone.

"Here she wants to talk with you. What can happen over the phone?" He asked her with an ugly look on his face.

She slowly reached out and took the phone with a shaky hand, held it for a second before putting it against her ear. The room spun as she felt nausea.

"H-h-hello." Damn it was hard to speak with a mouth that was as dry as the desert.

"Do you think you're better than me now?" She pulled the phone away to look at it and set it back to finish listening to her. "You ain't shit and guess what high and mighty? You will be returning home at the end of the week. You better be ready and not show your ass."

What in the hell was she talking about? She didn't have any plans to move back home, ever. Not even if Ryder told her to get out. Did her brother know about this? She's sick alright, in the damn head.

"Speak up when I'm talking to you. Do you understand?" What could she say to her mother, nothing.

"Yes, ma'am."

She handed Calvin his phone back and knew that he was for a purpose. It was all a game for both of them to play with her life. As he spoke like the special child, she hurried to her room and locked the door.

There was no way that door was being unlocked. Daddy was going to be upset about her behaving like a brat, but wait until he found out what the brother that was supposed to love her did.

It wasn't worth dealing with the drama at that moment, she laid on her bed with the cell phone and a pair of headphones. If Calvin did knock on the door, she wanted to be able to drown the noise out.

The music finally put her to sleep because when she opened her eyes to see Daddy standing next to the bed. She couldn't read what he was thinking, but quickly sat up and pulled the earphones off her head to give him, her full attention.

"Please tell me why you have locked yourself in this room." He stood next to the bed without blinking and she knew he was upset.

It was just going to get worse after she told him what happened. She took a deep breath and slowly slid off the side of the bed.

"I needed to get away from Calvin. He came here to help our mother not because he wanted to see me. While you were at work he was on the phone with her and handed me the phone, though he knew I didn't want to."

"Where in the hell is he?" He roared loud enough to bring the walls of the house down and she slightly shook.

He crossed the room and flung the door open with enough force the doorknob put a hole in her wall. She had no idea where he was but for his and Ryder's sake, she hoped he was gone.

The room Calvin stayed in was empty when they walked in. His stuff was packed and gone and she didn't hear anything. The headphones block out a lot of background noise; she listens to music so loud. Ryder looked at her for a moment before he took a deep breath and walked across the room to hug her.

He wrapped his arms around her then lifted her into his arms, against his chest. The stress of the day washed off her and she sighed. What would she do without Daddy? He was the best person besides her father that has ever been in her life.

"We will have a chat over dinner. Do you want to watch me cook?" He asked in his daddy's voice and with a smile, she nodded her head yes.

He carried her into the kitchen and sat her on the counter next to the stove, but not close enough that she would burn herself. It would be an easy dinner with grilled chicken and a small salad. It was healthy for her and with the stress that she has been under, her body needs all the love it can get.

"Daddy, I get duice?" She asked in the sweetest voice yet.

"Yes, and I will get you some. Good girl for asking so nicely." He kissed the top of her head with a wink and pulled her purple sippy cup down.

Daddy handed her the cup and went back to seasoning the chicken as he asked her to tell him about the conversation with her mother. She could see that his jaw was clenched as he asked, but she didn't have a choice not to tell him.

"She didn't sound sick to me. She's still mean as ever and controlling. That woman told me to be ready to go back home next week and I better not fight it. I don't want to go back there. That's not my home."

Rider set the food to the side and washed his hands before he turned to her with a gentle smile. He took a deep breath as he tried to calm down.

"Baby doll this is your home and you will never go back there. If you don't want to be here then we will figure it out, but that house is out of the question."

"Thankie daddy." She threw her arms around his neck and gave him a huge hug.

She wanted to know about Kevin now, he was hardly around and he didn't like her brother. He refused to come home after work until he was gone.