Memories

A few years have passed since the letter came. I was in college now. My college was far from my house, so I used to commute by car. I could have opted for a college nearby, but that college was more prestigious and was worth the travel.
So, as per my daily routine, I was travelling in my car along the hilly road. The town is situated in a hilly area, so it is a bit difficult to drive. I was driving perfectly, till the car stopped all of a sudden. I tried to start the engine again but it didn't work. Cursing my bad luck, I got out of the car and checked the engine. It looked completely fine to me. But it was not starting. It was getting late. I didn't want to miss the first class. I kicked the car and started cursing. I looked around. The place it stopped was  deserted. There was nothing over there except the trees and the road. It would take a few more miles to reach the town. I took out my phone to look for a mechanic nearby. But there was no network. Frustrated, I started pacing up and down waiting for a vehicle to pass by. But not even a single one passed. I groaned in exasperation looking up. Then I saw something. A pole. No, a tower. It was hidden amidst the trees. I started walking towards it, hoping I would find someone there. But, as I was walking, it felt familiar. And when I reached the place, it all hit me.

 It was my house where I lived in when I was a child. Before I ran away from him. I had forgotten about it for a long time. It used to be beautiful but now it looked like a haunted house. Vines crept up the gates and the walls. The trees nearby were all dried up. The walls were dark and dusty. Spider webs covered the whole place. The windows which used to be colorful were now dull, dusty and shattered.
I moved forward and opened the entrance door slowly. It took some time since it was old and the hinges got rusty. It wasn't locked. As I opened it, I was greeted with mice and bats. And other insects. I ducked down instantly. It took me by surprise. After those little beasts left, I walked inside the house. It was so messy and dusty. Memories of the past flooded my brain as I looked around.
"Sara wait! Don't run in the hallways. You'll hurt yourself! "
" I'm fine mother I won't get hurt- oww!"
"See. I've told you. Why won't you listen to me?"
"I'm sorry, mother."
"Fine. Don't ever run in the hallways again."
"Yes, mother!"
Tears started falling from my eyes as I remembered this piece of memory.

 Her smile, it was like that of the angels. Her eyes were always dripping with love and affection

Why did you have to leave me, mom?

I bent my head to wipe off the tears. I raised my head again and glanced at a familiar room. The stains were still there.

Are the bodies still there too?

I didn't want to go to that room. But, before I could think anything, my legs moved on their own. As I reached that room, I saw something moving by the window nearby. I stopped and turned to look what it was. It was then, that I saw him.