It's My Birthday And I Can Cry If I Want To

Lord Cornwallis walked her into the house with her on his arm. She couldn't believe the man who has threatened her life numerous times had thrown her a party.

"I guess I should thank you for the party." She said.

"It wasn't my idea. Mrs. Mills felt sorry you never really had a birthday." He confessed.

"Oh." She said quietly.

She took a deep breath as they entered the house. Knowing now that the party was somewhat of a pity party it didn't feel so special. Her smiles were fake and forced that night, and the party seemed to never end. After what seemed like forever she finally found an opening to sneak away. A tear escaped her as she crossed her arms standing in the gardens alone.

"You want to talk about it?" Tavington asked her.

Wiping the tear quickly away, "No I would not."

"Why are you crying? Today is your birthday, you should be happy."

She looked anywhere but at him. "I wasn't crying. Besides, why do you care? You're nothing but an emotionless, ruthless killer who cares for nothing but winning battles."

Taking a step closer to her, "Why do you keep calling me a ruthless killer? We're at war, it's my duty."

Staring at him, "Because that is what you are. Your duty does not involve killing innocent women and children."

"And you're just a stupid girl nobody likes or wants." He spat at her.

She slapped him hard across the face. She hoped that his face stung. She couldn't remember her hand hurting so much in her life. Lord Cornwallis stepped out at that moment.

"Abigail, a word with you please." He called to her

Rolling her eyes, she so hated her new name. She straightened her self and joined Cornwallis. He led her off into the library.

"What is it you wanted to talk to me about?" Still a little confused about why she was in the library talking with him.

"I have taken you under my wing and claimed you as my daughter. Treating you very..."

She interrupted, "By threatening my life. By making me feeling useless and ashamed of who I am. You treat me like I am more a burden than an actual daughter. And all I can think is now I know why you don't have children."

"Hold your tongue when I speak. What I wanted to tell you as my new daughter you will abide by my word no questions asked."

"Why? It's not like you're my actual father and I will be going back home soon. With my real family and to my real father."

"Doesn't look like it anytime soon. You should consider yourself grateful that we saved your life and taken you in. I have been very charitable towards you and all I ask is for you to listen to me no questions asked. Like a good daughter would do."

Laughing, "Charitable? Are you out of your cotton pickin' mind? First I get manhandled by that crazy man who is your Colonel. And I am pretty sure he could be mentally unstable for all I know. And then given a new father and a new name.....well you have been kind of charitable. You didn't kill me when I was captured."

Folding his hands behind his back, "Well, like my daughter, I believe you need a husband. I can't have you wandering around here aimlessly without a man. It reflects horribly on my part. Besides people have been asking me when you are to marry."

"You are out of your cotton pickin' mind." Her eyes widened.

"You are going to marry and I have the perfect man for you." He turned on his heels and left.

"What do you mean the perfect man for me? Why don't I get a say or get to choose who I marry? And don't you think I am a little too young? I do believe I am too young to marry." She called after him.

He disappeared into the crowd. Today was not her day. And it was going so well she thought, at least this morning. Before she knew it she heard her name being called. There was Lord Cornwallis on the platform the musicians were on, calling for her to come up. She forced a smile and went to him.

"I like to announce by this time next month there will be a wedding." He called. Everyone cheered and he waited till it all died down before speaking again. "It will be between my dear daughter here and our very own Colonel Tavington." Cornwallis motioned for him to come forward.

As everyone cheered again, he moved so the two can stand together. Isabel was thinking that she was on something. She must have had some bad mushrooms and was now hearing things. This was so not happening to her.

"Hypocrite." She said out of the corner of her mouth.

"Whatever do you mean?" He whispered back.

"I'm a stupid girl nobody likes or wants. You so talked with Lord Cornwallis." She left him there as she joined a group of congratulating women.

Isabel was fuming by the end of the night. She would of rather have been killed than marry that man. And at such a young age, she was only twenty. She was starting to like her time more and more. At least they didn't like people marrying so young, and they did have a choice on who they wanted to marry. Tomorrow she and Cornwallis were going to have words. That night she couldn't help it no matter how hard she tried. She cried herself to sleep. That morning she got dressed, grabbed a biscuit, and stormed off to the camp. Waltzing in, she was glad to find that it was just him.

"I refuse to marry that man. How can you be so cruel?" She yelled.

"This is not cruel. I have seen you two always speaking together, finding ways to be alone. It was going to happen at one point. I just moved it along. Besides this could be good for both of you."

"How can this be good for the both of us? We dislike each other!" Her arms flew up.

Turning to her, "He needs a woman in his life. You are the one that could change his brutal tactics. And for you, if I didn't do anything, there was a good chance you will be alone all your life."

"That is a good thing for a father to tell her daughter. Where's the faith? And I so can't change his brutal tactics. What makes you think that? He has to want to change." She stormed out of the tent.

She mumbled to herself all the way back to the house. What was with the people here? And did she just refer to her self as his daughter? Oh boy, she was spending to much time here and getting way too involved in this. She needed to find some way to get back home, but how?

A/N: Hope you enjoyed the latest chapter. Comments most welcomed.