Saving Yourself Doesn't Always Go Your Way

The light was very blinding when they pulled off the blindfold. She went to cover her eyes but was unable to move her hands. They had tied her to some chair. 19 years in her time and not tied up once. She's here over a month and already she has been tied up twice and had a gun pointed at her twice. Her eyes finally adjusted to the light. Noticing the people who took her were the others from the brook when she first arrived. They had taken her to some swampy burned down place.

"You might as well kill me now. I have nothing for you." She looked away closing her eyes tightly.

A man squatted down in front of her. He must be the leader of these dirty people. "How about a name?" He asked. Isabel still refused to look at him or even say anything. "I'm Benjamin and this is Gabriel." He introduced.

"Isabel. Yes, I know it's an unusual name for a girl."

"We saw you leaving the company of Colonel Tavington. Why were you with him? And who is this girl Abigale that is being claimed to Cornwallis as his daughter?" Gabriel impatiently asked.

"I know nothing. I ran into that man while taking a ride." She answered firmly.

Benjamin stood, "Gabriel leave."

"But father she knows something." He pointed at her.

" I got it, now leave us." Gabriel reluctantly left. Benjamin didn't turn to Isabel till his son was completely gone. "You know what I hate?" He asked turning to her.

"People, who say they are vegetarians but eat chicken?" She answered.

"Noooo. Liars, it's liars that I hate." He paced in front of her.

"Sorry I don't follow." She watched him.

"What is your relationship with the Colonel?" Stopping in front of her.

When she looked at him, the eyes were the first things she clung to. They were the nicest shade of blue she has ever seen.

She came back to reality. "There is none. I just met the man today. I didn't know his name until now."

"Do you know anything about this Abigale woman?"

"No. But this Abigale doesn't seem very important. Aren't you at war with the red coats?" She tilted her head slightly.

Sitting in front of her, "Whose side are you on?"

"None." She stared him down.

"I believe you can be of use to us. Colonel Tavington does not associate with just anyone." He stood.

"But I told you I didn't know him till today. How can I be of any use if I know nothing?" She called.

Saying over his shoulder, "We will just see about that." Leaving her in the chair.

Me and my stupid mouth, she thought. I need to be more careful about how I speak to them. It's a good thing I'm not married to Tavington. It would be all the leverage they needed to get what they wanted. Oh crap, I'm supposed to marry him in two days. How does this look, me not being there? Do they even know that I am gone or do they still think I am out with Tavington? This was so not how she wanted to get out of the wedding with Colonel Tavington. Will they come for me? Or will the not even try and let me die here in this dirty place? Damn, they are going to leave me here. She couldn't help but think this was as bad as it was going to get. And she thought marrying Tavington was awful. That was starting to look fantastic every moment she spent here.

Colonel Tavington thought that Isabel must have gotten farther than he believed. He didn't see any sign of her all the way to the plantation.

"Where is she?" He asked the stable boy when he ran up.

"She is not with you sir?" The boy asked.

"If she was, would I be asking you about where she is?" He snipped.

"I have not seen her sir."

Colonel Tavington swore under his breath. She must have gone to Lord Cornwallis. Why would she do that? She seemed to dislike Lord Cornwallis just as much as him. He went to the camp anyways in search of her.

"What are you doing here? I thought I told you to spend the day with Abigale?" Lord Cornwallis asked when he saw Tavington.

"Is she not with you?"

Cornwallis was mad now, "Why would she be with me?"

"She took off and was not at the plantation when I went after her."

Cornwallis rolled his eyes, "How do you plan to handle her when you are married if you can't handle her now?"

Cornwallis told Colonel Tavington to go back to the plantation and look for his soon to be wife. Dark soon fell and still no sign of her. Tavington returned to camp empty-handed. He figured she would show up when she was good and ready.

Isabel was tired and lost hope she had a search party for her. She had been tied up in the chair for days now, they wouldn't untie her no matter how much she begged. It was the day of her wedding and she was wishing that she was their right now.

"Are you doing ok?" The preacher asked sitting by her.

"I am cold, hungry, tired, smelly, and gross. Other than that I am peachy." She said dryly.

"Preacher get away from her," Benjamin told him.

"But couldn't we make her more comfortable?" He asked rising from his spot.

"She has got some valuable information we could use against Lord Cornwallis. She stays as she is, till she hands over what we want to hear."

"Guess we're going to be here forever. Since I have nothing to share." Moving in her seat.

Her wrist was raw now from all the squirming and trying to get free. She needed to find a way out.

Colonel Tavington had congregated a search party. They had been looking for her for almost two weeks. Everyone was on the verge of quitting. If they haven't found her by now she was defiantly dead. Everyone was thinking it but were too frightened to voice it. Lord Cornwallis was seeing red now with Tavington. He blamed the Colonel for Isabel's disappearance. Colonel Tavington dare not come back without her. But this was ridiculous he thought. He belonged on the battlefield, not out searching for some silly girl.

The Militia was out and had a personal guard stay. By a stroke of luck, she somehow got her hands free. Making sure the man who was supposed to be watching her wasn't looking-his back was turned to her-she seized the opportunity and silently snuck off. So glad the man was deep in whatever he was doing to not take notice of her getting away. The only problem was she had no clue where she was heading. Taking the path she had seen the others take so many times.

When nightfall fell she kept trudging along. She had to get out of there. Well after midnight she finally emerged from the swamp. Looking around she found bushes big enough to hide her. And that was where she fell asleep. When Isabel woke up it was with a very sore neck.

"Note to self never sleep in a bush. Awe gross, I couldn't be any dirtier if I tried." Looking down at herself.

Her hair was matted and felt like it was in dreadlocks. Her dress was caked in mud and dirt was all over her face and hands. She finally got to see her wrist which was red, raw, and dried in blood. If anyone recognized her, it would be a surprise to her. Looking all around she headed straight since it looked like a good place to go. After hours of walking and seeing nothing, she got frustrated.

"Screw this century and this stupid weather. Where the hell is everyone and why the hell have we not thought of paved roads yet?! I thought the man was supposed to be smart." She screamed not caring who heard.

Isabel was now past the point of hunger and well into starving. "Ok that's it I quit. Nobody here wants me, I get it. But you all could have sent a freaking search party." She said to herself as she fell to the ground.

Laying in the dirt she heard hooves. Figuring the Militia had found her by now she didn't bother moving. "You going to lay there all day ma'am?" The voice asked.

Grumpily saying, "Yes, and it's Isa.....Tavington?" She screamed as she sat up.

A/N: Hope you enjoye the latest chapter. Reviews most welcomed.