Why Are Things Always So Complicated?

Isabel started taking long rides under the close watch of Collins and Mitchell. She kept trying to look for the shiny mirror thing. As the months went by, she started to lose faith that she would ever find it. The weather started to get colder. And Isabel took to hiding in the library on the cold winter days. She still refused to share a room with Tavington.

Sarah the cook was in the kitchen cleaning a chicken for dinner. "Hey, Sarah can I talk with you?" Isabel nervously asked when she walked into the kitchen.

"Yes sweetie what is it?"

"Remember last month when I explained the whole dating and having a boyfriend where I come from?" Sitting on an empty stool when she spoke.

"I remember that." Shaking her head up and down.

"And then you asked if I had one when I was there and I said I'm not sure. Well the reason I said that was I did but we had this big fight before me coming here. And I wasn't sure if I wanted to be with him. But I love him and then I come here and all this happened."

"And you feel guilty? Is that why you are refusing to share a room with the Colonel?" Sarah stopped what she was doing and turned to Isabel.

Looking in her lap, "Ya, I just feel like I am betraying Steve somehow."

Tavington had come home to talk with his wife and her distance with him. He was heading to the kitchen to ask Sarah where she was. He paused when he saw them in the kitchen and hid to listen to them. Maybe he could find out what is with her.

Sarah went back to the chicken, "This guy Steve what is it he has, that the Colonel doesn't have?"

"Besides the fact he is not some killing tyrant, he would have married me and think it wasn't an obligation, but because he wanted to, or kiss me like it wasn't an obligation. I want to be loved and someone to need me occasionally, not make me feel like I'm some kind of burden. With Steve, I felt wanted, Tavington doesn't make me feel like that."

Giggling, "Don't worry about that. Colonel Tavington makes everyone feel like they are a burden to him."

Isabel laughed with her, "You are right. That man needs to get off his high horse."

"But what you need to do is give the Colonel a chance."

Her head shot up to Sarah, "Why?"

Sarah turned back to Isabel again one hand on her hip, "Everyone deserves a chance. Even if it is him. Lighten up on him, he will come around."

"I highly doubt it. But it still doesn't change how I feel about him. I just would love him to be nice. Is that so hard to ask for?" Crossing her arms.

"Just remember that Steve is not here and the Colonel is."

Getting off the stool, "You're right. But stopping how I feel is going to be hard. Maybe if I'm lucky he will do something sweet for me and make me feel like I matter to him."

Tavington ducked out before Isabel left the kitchen. Christmas was fast approaching and Isabel was still nowhere closer to knowing what to get her husband. Maybe a new gun. No, she didn't want to feel responsible for killing people every time he shot the gun. Even though she knew that is wasn't her pulling the trigger. Maybe something to clean his sword. Nope, that just sounded stupid.

Isabel went out on the porch to talk with the only two friends she had. "You two haven't heard anything on what Tavington is going to be getting me for Christmas?" Both shaking their heads and answering in unison no. Scratching her head, "I wonder if he is having as much trouble as I am."

"Well, you are an infuriating woman. Which makes it hard to think of what to get a woman who infuriates you, like you do the Colonel." Joked, Collins

"And you're funny looking." She stuck her tongue out at him.

They both laughed as she headed back into the house. As the sun was setting, Isabel hid in the library. She had spent all day organizing the books. She had one wall of all the books she had read and two walls of ones she had not. Three of the four walls had bookshelves built-in. The wall with the door leading in or out was the only one without a built-in bookshelf. The wall that had two windows had a built-in shelf between them. That is where she put all the books she had read. To help with what she was doing she started singing to herself. Her back was to the door. So involved in what she was doing and the song she didn't hear someone come in.

"What is that you are singing?"

Isabel screamed throwing the book in her hand at the person. He dodged it just before it could hit him, slamming against the door.

A hand went over her heart, "Ugh, Tavington, don't do that to me. It's not wise to sneak up on someone like that." Her heart finally calmed down.

"I'll remember that. I do not want another book thrown at me." He teased.

"Since when did you become Mr. Funny man?" Going back to what she was doing.

Moving a little closer to her, "Would you....do you..."

She turned back to him, "What is it that you are trying to tell me."

Straightening up, "On the day you were taken you asked constantly about my family."

"I wanted to know what they were like." She nodded her head yes.

"My mother died when I was a young man. I do not remember much about her. And my father squandered any esteem we had including all my inheritance. Now I raise my status through victory." His hands went behind him.

Isabel went over kissing him on the cheek. "This is nice, you sharing with me. Lets me know you're human."

"Then will you be joining me tonight in our bedroom?"

"Now you're pushing it."

"You would rather share your bed with Steve than your husband? Who is he?" His jaw tightened.

Her jaw dropped in shock. "How do you know about Steve?"

"I overheard you talking with Sarah." He answered.

"So you weren't just being nice because you wanted to? You overheard what I said to her. I can't believe you were snooping. You're awful."

"That doesn't answer my question. Who is he? And how long have you been seeing him?" He was now glaring down at her.

Isabel felt like his eyes were burning into her soul. "Well don't worry since he is not here to do anything. He is no threat to you, I haven't seen him since I came here. And not a day goes by do I wish I agreed to go with him to Maine. Every day I wish I didn't throw a hissy and storm out of the house. Because I'd still be home and not here married to you. I just want to stop feeling alone. Feel like this is my home since it is to be. And the one person who should help make me feel like this is a home and that I have a family doesn't." She glared at him angrily walking past him out of the library.

Letting out some air, he rolled his eyes and left the library.

A/N: I hope you are enjoying the story so far. Reviews are most welcome