Family Is

The plan was simple. So simple. Too simple. It had Soza fretting over every detail. Toph, Sokka, and Suki at the airships. Katara, Zuko, and Soza in the Fire Nation. Aang all alone against Ozai. Oh, and Aang had disappeared by the way. Not like that's important.]

While everyone was talking about faith it the boy, Soza was thinking about how the fate of the world was in the hands of a 12 year-old. Was he the avatar? Yes. But still. The nerves still got to the pale haired girl like crazy. 

So, when Azula challenged Zuko to an Angi Kai, it began to boil over. Standing against the wall behind Katara, Soza was just trying to conceal her shaking body. She wasn't afraid of Azula exactly, but Zuko fighting her was worrying.

"You gotta relax kid."

Not right now. Soza didn't want to be reminded of the existence of another entity in her head.

"Just lemme in." 

Soza's head felt like it was going to split open. It burned while it froze and everything began to blacken.

"Relax kid. It's only gonna hurt if you fight it."

Relax? That was the last thing Soza could do right now. Katara had taken notice of her condition too. She turned to help her friend...

Soza's eyes cleared the instant it happened. Lightning. Lightning from Azula. It hit Zuko. It hit Zuko and he was down.

"Now you wanna let me in?"

It was like being in the passenger's seat of a moving car, but you couldn't see the driver. From the outside Katara could see her eyes dilate into black orbs, and her expression change to become something maniacal and crazy. 

"Oh you fucked up now."

Black tendrals began to form from Soza's chest as a creature began to leave. It's body was black and thin as paper and it had strange white markings on it.

(for those who have watch LoK think vaatu but with white instead of red.)

"It's so nice to be free again."

The creature flew silkily through the air before landing beside Soza as she slowly came back to consciousness.

"Where am I?"

Everything was busy and blurry. She felt as though a piece of herself had been missing, ripped out of her even.

"Don't worry kid. I'll return to you shortly. Neither of us can survive for long without each other."

"Water. I can't feel it."

"Oh yes, well it was a gift from me, so you no longer possess it now."

"Why now? Why leave now?"

"There was finally enough chaos for me to feed upon to gain my own physicality back. Most of it was brought by the one you call Azula." it motioned to the firebender Katara was currently attempting to fight off.

"Katara! Go heal Zuko, we'll handle Azula!" Soza yelled, running into battle with her younger 'sister'. 

Now, Soza wishes she could tell you there was an epic battle and it raged for hours, but the author got lazy. So, between Raavati and Soza combined, Azula stood little chance of success. She was successfully pinned and tied to a pillar.

"If you leave now, you'll never know what happened to your parents."

Soza stopped dead in her tracks. Katara and Zuko froze at the expression on her face. A pit of anger and rage as well as curiosity and hurt. She slowly pivoted back to a smirking Azula.

"What did you just say?"

"You head me."

"Soza wai-"

Katara was cut off as a massive blast of fire was thrown at them by their teammate, knocking the two halfway across the arena. 

"Talk. Now."

"You see a would, but the rope is really distracting me from remembering."

"I'll give you something else to remember if you don't talk."

Soza growled as her hand lit up with flame and she approached Azula.

"You can do what you want Soza, I won't talk."

"We'll see about that."

"This isn't you kid."

"Shut up. This isn't about you."

"Well, considering I inhabit your body most of the time, I'd say this is about me."

"Then leave."

"I can't there's no way back."

"Then go away."

"I won't last long in this world separated from you."

"Then die. I don't care."

"But that's just it. I think you do."

"What?"

"You do care. You care about your parents. You care about your friends. You care about your enemies too. You care."

"You don't know me."

"What do you really want Soza? Your parents or a family."

"They're the same thing."

"Then why do I see you already have a perfectly serviceable family. One you've spent almost a year traveling with, bonding with, learning with, learning from."

Soza's fist clenched slightly, eyes watering. She slowly turned away from Azula, drowning out the yells and the fire that bloomed form her mouth.

"Katara, Zuko, I so-"

And then Soza was wrapped into a tight hug.

"It's okay."