Chapter 7

:: Emma's POV ::

It was Monday morning as I shuffled around the kitchen trying to get Noah's lunch packed for school and clean up the breakfast dishes before it was time to leave. If there was one thing that drove me crazy, it was a sink full of dirty dishes. Maybe it was the fact I was somewhat of a neat freak, but I hated it.

"Mommy! Mommy!" Noah came running into the kitchen, "JJ's on TV!"

Before I knew it Noah had grabbed my hand, pulling me out to the television where the NFL Network flickered on the TV screen. Noah always insisted on watching either ESPN or NFL Network while eating his breakfast. Sometimes I swore there was a 30 year old man living in his body.

"You missed it, go back go back!" Noah urged me to rewind back to the part he wanted me to see.

What did we ever do workout all this DVR business? I felt myself growing anxious, but I was glad to see JJ's face on the screen. They had an away game yesterday and left for Carolina on Thursday, so I hadn't seen him since Wednesday night. I missed him.

"Stop! Stop!" Noah had let me know that we reached the beginning of what he wanted me to see.

"Okay, go brush your teeth sweetie. We've got to get ready to go." I always made Noah brush his teeth again after he ate, especially before school.

Noah's shoulders slumped as he exited the room. I listened to make sure I heard his footsteps going up the stairs, as soon as I had, I returned my focus to the television and the interview with JJ.

The reporter had asked JJ about his personal life, dating and relationships and I was on the edge of my seat. I had no idea what was going to come out of his mouth and I guess I was curious. Maybe this was the moment I was waiting for. The moment I got the confirmation I needed; that he was mine. We had never put a title on anything, maybe titles were juvenile. I didn't know, I had been out of the dating game for a while; I wasn't sure how things worked half the time. I admit I found the idea of asking a question as simple as "will you be my girlfriend/boyfriend?" a little amusing. I felt like that was something you wrote in a note you passed during class in grade school, "Will you go out with me? Check yes or no."; I didn't know why, it just seemed like things were different when you got older.

I do know JJ's response was not one I had ever expected, I felt my heart sink faster than a lead balloon and I began to question everything that had occurred over the course of the last two months. I felt betrayed, let down, lead on... you name it, I was feeling it.

"I'm not interested in having a relationship; I'm only interested in playing football. Chasing greatness, that's what motivates me. I have my whole life to worry about the other stuff."

I felt the tears well in my eyes as JJ's words echoed in head, over and over. How could he? How dare he. I was so good at keeping my heart closed up; everything was so good with me and Noah. Why did JJ have to waltz into our lives and mess with that? It was better when we were watching him do his thing from the safety of our own couch. At least that way I could still ogle over how handsome and dreamy he is without the worry of being hurt.

I heard Noah coming down the stairs and I quickly turned the TV off and wiped the tears from my eyes. There was no way I was going to let Noah see me like that, I would never tell him how much of a jerk JJ was.

"You ready dude? We don't want to be late." I walked into the foyer to meet Noah at the bottom of the staircase.

I helped him slip on his little lightweight coat before putting mine on. He grabbed his Ninja Turtle backpack off of the padded bench and I grabbed my handbag from the coat hook.