Chapter 1

There was a crash as a bottle was thrown at a wall, shattered glass raining down on blue hair. Jax flinched as their father began to scream and cuss at them, some unknown action having set him off. Jax was used to it though. Their father blamed Jax for all his problems. When they were 12, Jax came out as non-binary and pan-sexual and shortly after, their mother walked out. That was 5 years ago and ever since Jax's father blamed them for his wife leaving. Jax knew it wasn't their fault though. Jax's father was human but his mother was Fae, a species notorious for being flighty. It was only a matter of time before her heart took her elsewhere.

"ARE YOU IGNORING ME YOU FUCKING FAGGOT?!" Jax's father grabbed them by their naturally blue hair and yanked their head up to scream in their face.

"N-no s-sir," the half-fae stuttered, avoiding eye contact with the angry man.

The man snorted and threw the half-ling to the ground. "Get out."

Purple eyes widened in shock, "W-what?"

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE!" The man bellowed, raising his hand as if he was gonna strike them. "I'M TIRED OF YOU TAKING UP SPACE, YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT." The half-ling scrambled to their feet and out the front door. "IF I EVER SEE YOU AGAIN, I'LL BLOW YOUR BRAINS OUT!" The shouted words followed the 17 year old into the cold winter night. The few neighbors that were outside barely spared them a glance, all to use to the noise, and many agreeing with the man. They didn't know the child was part fae, thinking that they dyed their hair and wore contacts. They thought that it was all a cry for attention, along with their gender identity and sexuality.

Jax shivered and rubbed their arms. Fae where extremely sensitive to the cold, and all Jax was wearing was jeans and a thin long sleeve shirt. They had nothing, not even their wallet, and had no place to go. The Fae wouldn't help them. In fact they barely tolerated Jax's existence. Many elders looked down upon inter-species relations, especially the children conceived from those relations. Jax learned this when they attended their first and nearly last gathering. The Fae wouldn't hurt Jax, but they wouldn't help him when other species tried to. The only reason that Jax even survived that meeting was due to a young werewolf named Jessie, who was the son of one of the Alphas.

They quickly became friends, Jessie not minding that they were a half-ling, and would talk at every meeting, eventually exchanging numbers. Jessie even brought them to the packhouse occasionally. Jessie would help them, but their phone was still at their father's house and it was too cold for them to try to fly with their delicate wings. Their only choice was to walk and hope they made it to the packhouse quickly.

Still shivering, the half-ling stepped off the path and entered the woods, thankful that it wasn't snowing. But it wasn't long before snow was the least of their worries.

Stupid fucking idiot. Jax cursed them-self as they tried to run faster, howls and barks trailing after them. There's more than one werewolf pack in the world. They saw the trees thinning ahead and ran faster. Jax let out a surprised yelp as their foot caught on a root, spraining their ankle and falling into a trail that cut through the woods.

A pure black stallion reared up, braying in surprise at this creature suddenly falling in his path. Jax stared up at the large hooves being aimed at their head. Holy shit. I'm gonna die.