Each Broken Body

Chapter Five- Each Broken Body

Brooke followed the man to the end of the hallway, where a wooden door was sitting. It's hinges groaned as the man opened the door into the small room.

In the room, there were only the necessities. A small toilet planted on the back wall, sink on the left, and a bathtub rusting on the right side of the room. Brooke managed to shut the door behind her and do what she needed to do. She inspected the room, searching for anything that could inspire her for their escape. She sighed dejectedly, no windows, no air vents, nothing basically.

Before leaving she washed her hands eagerly, not caring if the soap smelled like molded cheese.

The leader of the two, knocked on the door, shouting incoherently through the thin walls.

Brooke gripped the loose handle and wedged the door open. "Shut up, will you? I'm done, and I'm out," she retorted, taking her time getting out of the bathroom and gingerly shutting the frail door behind her.

Without a seconds notice, she made a run for the kitchen, where she was positive a few kitchen knifes would be stored.

I'll get us out of here Aveline. If not me, then you. I promise.

Barging into a room, Brooke saw the knife precariously placed against the rusted wood, dangling close to the edge of the counter.

She jumped for it. The tips of her fingers glazed the edge of the handle when her feet were gripped tightly and pulled her back.

Brooke landed on the floor, her head thumping against the cold, hard ground. White hot pain rushed through her head, and moved throughout her body. Her breathing was labored, and her elbows dug into the floor, pushing against her captor holding her back.

The man removed one of his hands to reach for Brooke's other leg. She took the chance and kicked him hard in the stomach. He crippled in pain and dropped to his knees.

Getting up was a difficult task. With the searing pain in Brooke's head, she could barely see straight. She blindly grabbed the knife, seeing two instead of one. Something stung Brooke's palm and she noticed the blade digging into her skin.

She winced and grabbed the handle, turning to the man and kicking him once again. This time, knocking him unconscious. "Jerk," she hissed fiercely behind her as she walked out of the kitchen, the door swinging behind her.

"How do you know that my friend is in trouble? Maybe she is fine. What if you're having problems out there, hm?" Someone said in the background.

Brooke heard Aveline's snarky voice in the distance. It sounded farther, quieter than Brooke had thought. It was when she tripped on her own feet did she notice the pain in her was more than just a pain. Brooke winced and continued moving. That was until she reached the dining room.

Brooke presumed Aveline got sick of standing around, looking like a total fool in front of the two, and ran towards the man.

As Aveline took a few steps forward, a gasp escaping her heart shaped lips, Brooke felt a presence begin her. The air grew colder, stinging any skin that's shown. Her labored breaths struggled even more. Brooke wanted to do something, anything, but she didn't move, Brooke stood as straight as she could and refused to look around.

Like, I always say, I'm going crazy, she reminded. It's not him that's behind me. No one's behind me. You're just hearing things.

Brooke registered the exchange between the two and grinned, her hands dropping to her sides. Both of them were smeared in blood.