Paradox (Part 1)

"HellllooooooOooOooOOOoOoOooOoooO?" Dream wandered through the vacant hallways; he didn't even remember how he got to this white, endless maze of doors.

Might as well open some, he thought.
He turned the nearest doorknob before inching the door open and peeking through the crack.

A voice drifted through, it was familiar, but Dream couldn't place it.
"Why would you hide from me?"

Then his own voice came from the other side of the door, but it was different.
"I never hid anything, George. Nothing you needed to know."

The Dream in the hallway could make out two figures in the room, but he snapped the door shut before looking too closely.
Weird.

He opened another door; this time he looked out into a forest and heard birds and a faraway river. He saw a brunette boy riding a massive wolf through the trees.

Another door. An unconscious blond mermaid in a tub.

Another door. Two kids laughing in a swimming pool on a summer day; one with bright green eyes and brown hair and the other with black floofy hair and darker skin. They laughed and splashed each other.

Another door. His own voice again.
"GEORGE DON'T!" He closed it again before looking.

He tried a door across the hallway. It was his voice again, but with some kind of blocky landscape.
"This video I try and speedrun and beat Minecraft while my friend tries to stop me. We coded it so he can control the mobs around me..."

Dream closed the door.
What the fuck.

It was super trippy to hear his own voice say stuff he never said.

But literally what else was there to do but keep exploring?

The next door had a guy in a cloak chasing some pet around.
"COME BACK HERE SAMMY!"

Dream decided this was a good a door as any and hesitantly entered. He stood next to the door and cleared his throat so the guy noticed him.

The cloaked guy finally caught the animal and picked it up; he turned to Dream and Dream realized two things.

One: that's a motherfucking baby dragon.
Two: the guy was definitely not human.
Fuck.

The guy holding a dragon looked at him with horrifying white eyes. He had horns on his head and a black void for a face.
Fuck.

"You aren't supposed to be here."

"Oh, ok."

Pause.

"I'll go then."
"Bye."

Dream backed out of the room and closed that door.
He leaned his back against the door, hysterically laughing to himself.
I'm in danger.

No, I'm fine. I can close the doors, so stuff can't get out to me I guess.
What the hell is this place though?

He looked around for any kind of change. A door was in front of him that he could have sworn wasn't there before. It had a plaque with markings he couldn't read.

 It had a plaque with markings he couldn't read

He tried the doorknob. Unlocked. He pushed it open.

Inside was a kind of control room, or security room, wall-to-wall covered with monitors. None of them were depicting the same place though, some were fantastic and some ordinary. Bizarrely, many of them were out of focus or generally fuzzy. But Dream didn't look at the screens, he looked past them to the person sitting in a wheeled chair.

The person heard him and turned around, surprised he was there.
She was a girl, about his age but maybe a little younger. She was tall, slim, with long wavy hair and hazel eyes rimmed with big lashes.

Upon seeing him, she hurriedly turned around and scribbled on a scrap of paper. Then she disappeared.

Vanished. It was like space rippled and Dream was looking at an empty chair.

"What are you doing?" The voice made him jump. He couldn't tell where it came from.

"What am I doing? I don't know. What the hell are you?"

"What a rude question. I am a who, not a what."

"Who are you then?" Dream was looking around, but there wasn't anything but the empty chair and screens, now they were frozen.

"What is this place?" He asked.

"How did you get here, that's funny." The voice sounded vaguely amused; it was decidedly feminine.

Dream decided to play the confidence card. He cruised over to the empty chair and reclined in it, putting his feet up on the desk.
"Now that I'm here, what will you do?"

She sounded amused, "Who said I have to do anything?"

It was like they were playing, testing each other. He had a feeling she knew what he was up to.

He heard a soft chugging behind him and turned his head to see a miniature train circling a track that followed the walls around the small room.

"You didn't answer my questions."

"I do that."

"Why?" He asked coyly.

"Spoilers." He could hear a smile behind the word.

"Who are you?" He asked again, leaning back and watching the train.

It whistled in response. Then it promptly slid off the track and sailed erratically through the room.

He sat up. It came and circled around his head, chugging.

"I guess you could say I'm god."

Dream's heart jumped into his throat and hovered there. His eyes widened and he swallowed.

"What do you mean by that?"
He tried to calm his racing pulse and wiped his sweaty palms on his pants.

"Nothing and everything, don't worry about it."

"Okay, whatever you say." He tried to laugh casually but it came out strangled. He cleared his throat.

What the fuck do I say to that?

"What are you going to do with me?"

The train went chug chug chug, still loosely circling his head.

"Nothing," she answered. "You found a way in here; I'll let you find a way out."

"Wait." He stood up. The train followed him and circled his shoulders.
"You won't let me out now?"

"I know how smart you are; you'll be fine."

The train chugged back to its track and the monitors started playing again.
Dream felt himself being gently pushed to the door and found himself in the hallway.
He blinked and the door with markings was gone.

His memories of being in the room were already fuzzy and he suspected they'd disappear entirely within minutes.

He groaned in frustration.

What in the actual fuck am I supposed to do now?

After thinking this, he had an idea, but, no, that won't work. I don't have anything on me.

Dream wished he had something to write with and fumbled in his pockets. There was a pen. Nice.

He wrote on his hand.

I'm smart. Find a way out.