Chapter Three: Red Illusions

---

Steam filled the room as the figure walked out of the chamber. I squinted my eyes to try and see him.

It didn't look good.

As Zero stepped out, he was clutching his head. I rushed over and hugged him, he was alive.

"What are you doing?" A chill voice sent uncomfortable shivers down my spine. I released the hug and looked into Zero's eyes, "Zero, it's me, Gadget"

"I don't know you."

"What do you mean?" I asked, my heart shattered hearing him say that.

"I don't know who you are or what you are doing." Zero grunted, his ruby flashed brightly. I backed off to stay clear of the ruby, all I know is that annoying Zero would only spark the ruby and I didn't want to get hurt.

"I know you, please listen to me" I pursued from a safe distance.

"You do not know me." Zero bared his fangs and growled. "Now leave, before I do anything irrational."

"Zero-"

"LEAVE." He barked.

I closed my eyes tightly, hearing the whir of the ruby and expecting to be harmed only for a bright flash of red to appear and I heard a short grunt.

I opened my eyes to see that Shadow had kicked Zero into the wall.

"Shadow?!" I growled defensively.

"Shadow?" Eggman questioned.

"Leave now or I'll kill you both!!" Shadow shouted.

"I won't let you kill Zero!" I retaliated, bringing out my wispon and aiming at the dark hedgehog.

Shadow growled, "Gadget." he warned.

"No, Shadow! I won't leave!" I bared my teeth.

"Enough!" A blur of blue interfered between Shadow and me. "Both of you leave! Including you, Egghead!"

"Sonic?" I dropped my defensive stance and tilted my head. "How did you get here?"

"It's hard to not notice a blur of red speeding through the city and into a forest" Sonic narrowed his eyes at Shadow.

"Faker, get out of the way" Shadow grunted.

"No, you leave Shadow! I need to chat and see what's going on with Egghead and Gadget, not to mention the resurrection of Zero" Sonic crossed his arms.

Shadow growled, but teleported away.

I looked over at Zero, he didn't look that hurt but I was still worried. Eggman didn't really speak through the brawl but I could see him listening in.

"Okay, explain, Gadget" Sonic sighed.

I frowned, "I came over here because I wanted Zero back, but when he was revived he doesn't seem to remember me"

"I'll tell you one last time, leave" Zero stood up and growled.

Sonic looked over at Zero before turning to me, "We should go, we've over stayed our welcome"

"A-alright..." I nodded softly, rubbing my arm as I followed Sonic out of the base. I didn't know nor wanted to know what Eggman would do to Zero again, and I'm terrified that my selfish actions could have caused another war.

"Hey, it's okay" Sonic looked at me. "It's not your fault that Zero didn't remember you, we'll figure it out together, okay?"

"Okay..." I whispered in defeat. We walked out of the base and headed directly to the city.

---

Zero looked at his hands, "Where am I?" he asked the looming doctor.

"My concealed base" Eggman replied.

"It's not that concealed if they managed to find it" Zero scoffed. "What do you want from me?"

"I want you to help me take down the Resistance, then we can have the world once more!" Eggman grinned. "And my glorious empire will rise!"

Zero hummed, using his powers to create his mask that concealed his mismatched eyes and scar. "Revenge? Well, I'm always in for that" he chuckled and put his mask on.