Chapter Seven: Breakthrough

---

POV: Gadget

We spent an hour getting everything ready to defeat Eggman, it was tiring and we hadn't done the mission yet. I sat on a box in the weaponry where everyone was gathered to catch my breath.

My head injury had healed during the short time but it still needed checked.

Luckily for me, Zero never left my side.

"How are you feeling?" Zero asked as he sat beside me, using his claws to gently tear away at the dirty bandages around my forehead.

"I'm feeling tired, but good" I replied, leaning into his touch slightly, since our relationship was official everyone knew about it - but thankfully, no one questioned it, well, apart from a looming Rouge who was always squealing in the background when me and Zero showed simple affections like little kisses and hand holding.

It was amusing to say the least and always gained a chuckle out of me and Zero.

"It looks well" Zero commented, brushing his finger under my short fur to see the wound. "How do you think this mission will play out?" I asked.

"Hopefully well, I don't think the doctor can suppress such a huge team" Zero chuckled, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close.

"Yeah" I chuckled, glancing at the small ruby in Zero's chest, "Do we have to destroy that? I don't want to..." I frowned, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

"I don't want it to go either, but it's up to the Resistance" Zero also frowned. "If they still don't trust me after this mission, then they'll decide to destroy it"

"But it'll hurt you" I looked up into his eyes. "I don't want you to get hurt no longer, you've been through a lot already"

"I survived once, Gadget" Zero smiled warmly, "I'll survive again, sure I might be in a bit of shock from the blow but it'll all pass in a few days" he shrugged.

"You seem so casual about it" I huffed softly. "How?"

"Because I know I'll survive, I've been though worse things than the ruby" Zero stroked my cheek. "I have hope, so why dwell on what could go wrong? It only leads to stress and anxiety, and that's not good for you" he explained softly. "I want you to look on the positives too, I'll still be here for you"

"I know..." I mumbled. Zero was right, I was just extremely worried about his health.

Zero planted a soft kiss on my cheek, "Lighten up" he smiled, "After all this passes, we can finally rest"

"Yeah, that's true.." I nuzzled into Zero's neck and sighed softly, his warm embrace comforted me and melted my worries away.

"Come on, lovebirds~" Rouge's voice echoed in front of us. "We got a mission to do, then you can go back to being with eachother" she winked before walking off.

I whined, "I'm too tiredddd..." I buried my head in Zero's chest.

"Come on, the sooner we get this done the better" Zero chuckled, gently taking me off him and standing up. I groaned in protest but moved and stretched.

---

The Resistance was finally ready for ambushing Eggman's base. Everyone who had their own powers used them, but for those without magical abilities used the weaponry.

I attached my wispon to my belt before cleaning my glasses and checking that I was ready. Zero checked his powers in his hand, making sure he was warmed up for fighting. We all were given earpieces to communicate too.