Bonding over Books

When Varian had originally let Nuru join the group, it had partially been to annoy Hugo, and partially because they needed help. Now that the trial was over, and Hugo and Nuru had been arguing non-stop ever since, Varian wasn't sure he made the right choice. 

Nuru was a great help to the team, with her navigation skills and smarts. Though Varian was sure those skills were worth having to put up with their bickering all the time. Even Yong, the ever cheerfully Yong, was starting to looking tired of  the arguments.

After an argument filled dinner, Varian tiredly suggested they all have an early night. Hugo and Nuru grumbled in agreement. Yong and Varian were relieved they'd agreed.

They set up their tents, and fell asleep. 

Late in the night, Varian woke up panting from a nightmare. "Andrew isn't here. Andrew isn't here, he whispered to himself in an attempt to calm down. Varian wasn't able to sleep after that. Any thought of sleep bringing back the nightmare. 

Varian eventually decided to go outside, to grab some air and maybe read for a bit. Reading always managed to calm him down. 

Quietly he grabbed, "The Tales of Flynninagian Rider", and slipped outside. Varian walked over to the put-out campfire, sighing as he sat down. 

"Couldn't sleep?" Nuru's voice cut through the silent night.

"Wah!" Varian jumped at the sound, he noticed Nuru's small form sitting across from him. "Oh, haha, didn't see you there Nuru," he replied nervously chuckling. 

"Gonna answer my question? Or?" Nuru responded.

Varian's eyes dropped to look at the ground, "Eh, just some stupid nightmares," he said waving his hand in the air, as if to wave the question away. "Why are you out?"

"Just stargazing, aren't they beautiful?" she said gazing up at the stars starting to smile, " and" she added, her smile being replaced by a frown, " trying to get my mind off of that dumb, selFISH, IDOIT  named Hugo," she sneered at the the last part of her sentence.

"I'm sorry." she said smiling at Varian, "I just hate is DUMB FACE! All he EVER does is COMPLAIN! It's UNBEARABLE!" she said clenching her fists.

"Y'know he isn't that bad," Varian said, " Sure his annoying, but he helps in his own way too!"

"I don't know how you define complaining every second, as "helping"" she said, glaring at the extinguished campfire. She looked up with an obviously fake smile, "Anyway, what'ca reading?" 

"Oh!" Varian was startled at the sudden change of conversation, " Um, just "The Tales of Flynninagian Rider." he said holding up the book.

Nuru smiled slightly, "I used to love those books!" she said looking at the book he was holding up. 

Varian looked surprised, "Really!?"

"Yeah!" she said a full smile overtaking her face, "I had the whole collection," she laughed, "Re-read them every night!"

Varian let out a laugh, "Same!" 

The two ended up spending the entire night laughing, and taking about the crazy adventures they'd read. By the time Hugo and Yong found them laughing at something in books in the morning, Varian was fully confident in his decision of letting Nuru join the group.

Hey again! I always felt Nuru and Varian's friendship wasn't focused on enough! So, I made this! Just a note, schools starting up again for me so updates will be a bit less than I'd like. Again, comments are very loved! See you next time! :)