Chapter 6

Ruby

"Oh please who is this? I don't know if it's my daughter but then again, my daughter abandoned me so can you reintroduce yourself?" My mom said immediately she picked after the fourth ring.

I could feel my eyes at the top of my head because of how much I was rolling it.

Geez! I was still not used to her dramatic ways.

"Mom I love you too" I muttered, making my voice cheery. "I'm sorry I didn't call you earlier, work has been too much" okay that is a lame excuse, but a girl could try.

"Work my ass Jane!" She shouted. Oh no! She did not just call me my stupid, ugly, archaic middle name!

(Ps; I don't have anything against people bearing the name)

I knew she was smirking successfully, since she knows how much I hated that name. One time I broke Russell's finger because he kept calling me Jane. It's been so long he called me that, since he knows the consequences.

"Mom...." I started.

"Do not mom me young lady!" She began. "You don't need to be reminded to call your own birth mother. It should come to you as a knee jerk reaction. Do you know the pain of carrying a human in the womb for nine whole months and then finally pushing them out in labour? It's like a wonderful nightmare"

Sheesh

Was all this explanation about birth even necessary? No....but I have a drama queen as a mother.

"Mom, I'm sorry okay? What should I do to make it all better?"

I know I just sold my soul to the devil. Mom asking for anything is like telling a kid to pick anything in a candy store.

She cleared her throat. "Well, there is something" her tone has drastically changed from annoyed to ecstatic!

"What mummy?" My voice was sickly sweet. The voice Russ hated.

"Can you remember Kiki Williams?"

"No" not at all

"You should remember her honey! She was I and Alana's friend. She use to come over to the house when you were ten" she explained.

I seriously could not remember any Kiki Williams for the life of my brain.

"Oh! I remember her now" I exclaimed, even clapping my hands so we would be moving on.

I could feel mom rolling her eyes and scowling. "Shut up, matchbox brain" I snickered. She calls me that when I don't remember what she says.

"But whatever! Kiki's son is holding a very huge event next week and we were both invited."

Uh huh....

"Okay?" There was definitely more.

"And you're his date" she calmly stated like she just told me I'm a red head.

Is she cra......Argggh.

"Mom!" I shrieked. "I thought you were past this matchmaking shit" Oh God! I'm having a headache.

"Ruby, he is so handsome! You know I want the best for you. Come to the event"

"No"

"Yes you will, daughter of mine!" She ordered.

"Why me?!" I faked a distress cry. Seriously why? Why did God have to make me an only child? Her only concentration? Her only nagging fit!

"You because, you refused to find yourself a man. Apparently the only man in your life is Russell and that's not healthy"