15 - The Forbidden Forest (Year 1)

The next day wasn't so bad. When Mila had walked into the Great Hall for breakfast that morning the Slytherin hourglass had of course lessened but nobody had really paid much attention since they were so far in the lead regardless. In fact, most of the Slytherins were very happy by how much the Gryffindors house points had decreased - putting them by far at the bottom of the league. Although Mila felt bad when she saw how badly even their own house treated Harry, Ron and Hermione she couldn't help but be a little bit happy that their chance of winning the house cup had been greatly increased. Her and Draco were Snape's little golden first years.

When eating Draco had been avoiding talking to Mila. They sat in silence getting a load of questions from Theo and Sophie but just brushed them off casually. A large tawny own had dropped a note between the two troublemakers.

Your detention will take place at eleven o'clock tonight. Meet Mr Filch in the Entrance Hall.

Prof. M. McGonagall

At eleven o'clock that night Mila said goodbye to Sophie and Theo in the common room and went down to the entrance hall with Malfoy. Filch was already there – but they had to wait a bit for Harry and the others. Gryffindor tower was much further from the entrance hall. 

'Follow me,' said Filch, lighting a lamp and leading them out- side. 'I bet you'll think twice about breaking a school rule again, won't you, eh?' he continued, leering at them. 'Oh yes work and pain are the best teachers if you ask me ... It's just a pity they let the old punishments die out ... that hard ... hang you by your wrists from the ceiling for a few days, I've got the chains still in my office, keep 'em well oiled in case they're ever needed ... Right, off we go, and don't think of running off, now, it'll be worse for you you do.' 

What the fuck, Mila thought.

They marched off across the dark grounds. Mila wondered what their punishment was going to be. It must be something really horrible, she thought or Filch wouldn't have sounded so delighted

The moon was bright, but the clouds floating across the sky kept throwing them into darkness. Ahead, Mila could see the lighted windows of Hagrid's hut. 

'You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight.'

Harry's face flooded with relief and Filch noticed scowling tremendously.

'I suppose you think you'll be enjoying your- self with that oaf? Well, think again, boy – it's into the Forest you, you're going and I'm much mistaken if you'll all come out in one piece.' 

Hagrid came striding towards them out of the dark, Fang at his heel. He was carrying his large crossbow, and a quiver of arrows hung over his shoulder. As he approached closer they could hear him sniffle and great big splashes of tears ran from his beady eyes.

'A sorry lots this,' muttered Filch. 'Oh, good god, you're not still on about that bloody dragon are you.'

Hagrid sniffled once more and then sighed, 'Dumbledore's sent him off ter Romania ter live in a colony.'

'That's a good thing isn't it? He'll be with his own kind,' said Hermione hopefully.

'What if he don't like Romania?'

'I'm sure he will - all the dragons Charlie works with seem to be happy,' smiled Mila, trying to get on the good side of the giant before going into the forest.

'What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby after all.'

'Oh, for gods sake, pull yourself together, man. You're going into the dark forest after all - got to have your wits about you,' Filch smiled nastily.