Chapter 13

Katemperos-Tsa looked upon the door at the end of the wide hall. The room beyond seemed to exude a palpable miasma of evil, like an icy plague-wind that seemed to reach out for him. He knew this was where Xaltos had performed his unholy rites to placate beings from the windblown gulfs that sprawl and fester far beyond the light of any star. But Katemperos-Tsa was no neophyte, he has seen and done things that would shake the souls of most men to their very foundations, and so he pushed his way into the dead sorcerer's chamber of black magic.
    The chamber was filled with the implements of Xaltos’s black work, but whatever dark spirits and entities he had conjured, there were none there now, although the icy pall of their infernal presence still marred the very stone of the walls. The jet-hued walls of polished gneiss seemed to speak to the mage of the horrors they had witnessed. His eyes scanned the sigils and signs painted upon floor and walls, they took in the accoutrements of necromancy and alchemy which were everywhere present, and then, at last they fell upon Xaltos’s reliquary.
    The mage knew, could indeed sense, that the reliquary contained that which he sought. It was a large finely wrought chest of ebony chased with inlaid silver arabesques, artfully embossed edges, and to Katemperos-Tsa’s surprise,  it had no visible lock.