WIDOWS MIGHT

The sight of Funke's Lexus ES 350 at the church's parking lot was evidence that he was late to church. 

Funke was one of the greeters in church. She was on duty today and stood smiling as her baby brother came close to her. 

"Welcome to church," she said with a smile to the hearing of other greeters. " You're late," she whispered as he got closer. Funke was the only person in his family who went to the same church as he did. Their parents were full-time Pentecostals. 

It was a special partnership service in the church, where members came forward to say to the hearing of the church what they would financially do to aid the spread of the gospel to all the nations of the earth. The church was one of the biggest in all of Portharcourt and it's members were very influential and wealthy. 

Kojo sat still in the media unit watching men and women of all types climb the stage and say what they would be doing. Many of those who were given the opportunity to speak exhorted the brethren and declared millions for the gospel. 

While on the digital mixer in church, he felt somewhat disconnected because he didn't have that much to give for the gospel. He could easily ask his dad to give him some money, but that wasn't the life he wanted to lead. 

The Pastor, looking like something cut out of a page in 'Men's Vogue,' handled the sermon expertly and reiterated the importance of being a part of the whole. 

Kojo felt like the message was for him, he didn't have the millions to give yet, but he sure had some money he felt was his life. He had saved up for about two years while working on Neutra. The money was still shy of half a million naira to hit his target. He battled with his thoughts for a while before letting the spirit of God convince him that he was doing the right thing. 

Standing up from the mixer with a very heavy heart, he walked towards the back of the church hall and used the POS machine to clear all his life savings for the church project. He decided to not tell his sister about this and sat quietly until the service ended. 

At the close of the service, he waited a while till almost everyone had gone before he somberly got up and took the longest stroll home. There was a certain calm that enveloped his spirit as he walked for over an hour to his house. 

He opened his door and was glad to see he still had bread on his table. He checked his mini-fridge for a drink and this time it was empty. 

His phone vibrated, it was a message from his bank:

He laughed and deleted the message. He wasn't sure why the alert waited for him to get home before reminding him how empty his account was. 

He opened up his chocolate spread and was about to dig in with a spoon when the phone vibrated again. He rolled his eyes and wondered what again the bank had to tell him, but it was an email. 

The pop-up notification on the mail indicated that it was an email from STEM. 

Kojo sat up.