55

Tommy

Tommy

He stared at the flower that was finally pinned onto the lapel of John's jacket, fresh and clean unlike the others that were discarded little over an hour ago. Tommy was smiling faintly, his face mirroring the grin of Arthur's, though foggily. They could both tell how nervous John was. Everyone was here, dressed in what clothes they could scrounge up so last minute.

"Here she is," Tommy said, nodding his head toward Johnny Dogs, who blocked the view of the bride.

"She better be under fifty," John joked before setting forward.

John kneeled in front of Johnny dogs, eyes trained on the muck and dirt in front of him. But his pallid countenance was immediately replaced by an impressed smirk, the hint of red on his cheeks from the moment he saw her. Humorous glances were sent around as the ceremony started.

"We're here today to join in matrimony this man and this woman. So they can live a life of truth and harmony and togetherness."

Tommy turned, seeing Polly and Ada being lead toward the crowd by Lucille, her hands attached to Finn and Adds, tugging them along hurriedly. He smiled fondly, watching as Lucille nudged his sister to start toward him.

"You look well," he said, turning back to watch his brother shuffle eagerly on his knees.

"Lucille said there's a truce."

He flicked his eyes toward her. "Family day. Your husband couldn't make it?"

"He's not speaking to me. And when he does he calls me a 'fucking Shelby' even though I'm a Thorne now," she said, shaking her head, hands moving subconsciously to her stomach.

"Thorne in my side that's for sure."

Ada broke out into a smirk of disbelief.

"My God, Tommy. You admire him, don't you?" She scoffed, noticing he wouldn't answer, before speaking again. "How long will it be until it's your wedding we're all watching?"

Tommy smiled but said nothing, watching as Johnny Dogs took John and Esme's hands.

"There remains one more part of the ceremony," he said, an impossible grin on his face. "That's the mingling of the two bloods. Where the two families become the one family."

Their palms were cut, blood pooling from their sliced skin like wine. Holding hands, John grinned at the girl, eyes searching her face, as if committing it to memory. Tommy couldn't help but feel relieved. His brother would be alright.