Encounters with Mutated Assassin Hedgehogs

"I don't know mom, I'm just not sure that bringing him with would be a good idea.  I'm sure the pet shop wouldn't, like, hire an assassin or send some mutated hedgehog they keep in the back if I asked to reschedule the pick up date.  I can't leave him alone either.  We'll just have to wait for it to pass."

Izuku twisted a loose string on his pajama shirt around his finger.

"You'll only be there for the day.  All you're doing is picking everything up and signing a paper or two.  You've got everything that can't be bought there already.  Besides, it'll give him an incentive to get better."

Izuku let the string unravel just as it started to sting.  Angry red lines took the string's place.

"I don't want him getting anyone else sick, mom," Izuku said.  Lacking much else to do, he chugged his mug of hot chocolate and set the empty mug on the coffee table before dramatically splaying out on the couch.

"You won't bring him into the shop," Inko said in exasperation.

Izuku gasped in shock.  "You aren't suggesting that I leave him in the car are you?!  Just because it's cold outside doesn't make-"

"Izuku," Inko interrupted with a sigh.  "I'm saying leave him with me, pick up everything and then go home the next day."

"What?  Mom, I don't want to get you or Toshi sick or for you to have to take care-"

"I've raised a child before, Izuku.  And Toshinori has plans tomorrow night.  They'll hardly even see each other," Inko gently assured Izuku.  "Besides, you don't even know what he's come down with.  Maybe I can come up with something.  It'll just be a mother helping her son with his son while he goes to fetch the rabbit."

"Are you sure?" Izuku asked hesitantly.

"Positive," Inko responded with the confidence of a mother who's seen it all before.  "I mean, we wouldn't want to deprive you boys of Tupperware would we?"

Izuku narrowed his eyes and his lips flicked up into a small smile.  "I'll have you know that Tupperware is a brilliant name, mother."

"Yes, I know," she replied mildy.

Izuku laughed.  "I'll talk to you tomorrow.  I better head to bed."

"Goodnight, dear."

~Linebreak~

Izuku woke up around nine and busied himself with packing pajamas for that night and clothes for the next morning.  He briefly woke Katsuji so that he could eat breakfast, which consisted of applesauce and banana slices, and tucked him back in when he crawled into bed to sleep some more.

He sat on the couch once he was finished and exhaled softly.

After all this time I'm finally going back, huh?

He could practically feel the anxiety rolling off himself in waves.

He clenched and unclenched his fists and stood back up.

Walking down the hall, Izuku slung the diaper bag and the overnight bag over his shoulders.  He opened his bedroom door and hesitated for a moment before quietly walking over to the dresser, careful so as to not wake the pup.  Gently, he scented Katsuji's mask.  He opened the drawer and in a practiced motion placed the small translucent scent blockers onto his neck and wrists and sprayed fake scent onto himself before placing both into his bag.

Apple cider and snickerdoodle.  An odd combination.  Faint, less complex and harder to distinguish than an omegan scent.  Or an alpha's scent.  A combination far different from the old one.  Perfect for separating himself from himself.  As one typically does when hiding from the entire world.

I certainly won't be turning heads

Izuku then walked to the bed and gently woke Katsuji.

He stirred and rubbed at his eyes.  "Mama?"

Izuku ran a hand through blond locks.  "Yes, baby?" 

"'M tired," Katsuji said, rolling over to shove his face into a pillow.

Izuku lifted him into his arms and purred softly.  "We have to get ready, baby.  We're going to see grandma and bring home Tupperware."

~Linebreak~

The train ride back to his hometown was uneventful.  No one recognized him and he wasn't swept up in any flash mobs.

Katsuji slept most of the ride and Izuku idly scrolled through social media.  Eventually Izuku grew hungry and he stopped for a small lunch.  Katsuji didn't want to eat despite it being the time around which he normally ate lunch.

Izuku, even though it was cold out, purchased an ice cream to snack on.  Katsuji didn't want that or anything else so Izuku figured he could make something once they got to his mother's place.

Together they got on another train and continued their journey.  By late afternoon they had arrived at their desired destination and they lounged on the couch; watching whatever was on the television, chatting with Inko and coaxing Katsuji into eating some crackers.

~Linebreak~

The chat was blowing up his phone.  Someone kept talking about how they needed to turn on the news.  No one said what was on, all seemingly in disbelief.

Katsuki flicked the power button on, if only to see what the fuss was about.  It wouldn't do to not be in the know if one of his idiots got themselves into trouble.

On every news channel the bolded headline stood out, Breaking News: Pro Hero Deku Spotted?

Below was a still shot of a man with a lock of green hair smiling with an ice cream cone in one hand.  The mask resting below his chin showing that he had taken it off briefly to eat.  Resting on his hip was a small pup in a Uravity jacket with a beanie covering their hair and a mask covering their face.  The pup's face was tucked against Izuku's neck. 

"Earlier this afternoon a video of a young man and a small pup surfaced on the internet with the caption: 'Our Hope?'.  It quickly gained attention as people all over noticed that the man in the video was, indeed, Deku.  That or an impeccable look alike.  Which is unlikely; it seems anyone could spot Hero Deku's smile.  The video was taken about 45 minutes away from where Pro Hero Deku grew up.  No one seems to recognize the pup.  We'll play the video now."

A short clip played, the background audio allowing for nothing to be heard other than the rumble of cars and passerby.  One could see a child, whose appearance couldn't be made out, and a man, whose appearance anyone could identify.  The single lock of curly green hair sticking out of a beanie, the freckle, the eyes, everything made heads turn.  Though, it was clear that anyone who had seen him with the mask up wouldn't have looked twice.  The older boy's lips moved and the pup shook their head.  Izuku responded by hiking the pup higher up on his side as they continued to walk away, off to not be seen again for another two years.

Katsuki stared at the television.  Thoughts flying in his head so fast it was like he wasn't thinking at all. 

"Fuck, shit, damn it," Katsuki swore.

What the fuck is even going on?!