19. our spot

CHAPTER NINETEEN

OUR SPOT

"I actually hate your ice cream sandwiches."

Dramatically gasping, Xen stopped in his tracks, turning around to face Milo. The sun was beating down on him, making his skin appear even more golden than it usually did, with a light sheen of sweat coating it. His skin was pretty. Really fucking pretty.

"Are you serious?"

Milo laughed, nodding. "They're just not good!" he exclaimed, a slight skip to his step. "I lied because I didn't want you to feel bad."

Xen's eyes widened and he shoved Milo, pulling him back before some person on a skateboard could crash into him. "Fucking dick," he muttered, causing Milo to let out a laugh, shaking his head.

They were at a park— Xen's idea. He had called him the previous night to tell him that he wanted to go to the park, because he hadn't been there in six years. Which was actually really sad, if Milo thought about it.

Their conversation that night was supposed to be a short one, but they had ended up talking for well over two hours, about a book that Milo was currently reading. Well, listening to. But he liked to call it reading, because it really was reading.

So, it was mostly Milo ranting about how they always kill off the characters that gave the book its diversity, and Xen just letting out soft laughs at his ranting, occassionally agreeing with him and pitching in to give his own opinions on how they always killed off the people of colour in horror movies.

Milo loved listening to Xen speak, even though he rarely ever did. His voice was so smooth and low, it was so pleasing to listen to. And fall asleep to, as Milo had seen the previous night.

It was completely fucking ridiculous to deny the fact that Milo had a crush on Xen.

Knowing that Xen wasn't straight made him feel slightly better about it, but he still didn't want to say anything. Xen had just told Milo his sexuality, meaning that he probably liked someone and figured it out. Someone who wasn't a girl. So for now, Milo decided not to say anything, because he wanted to respect that. He didn't want to overwhelm him, or worse, make him feel obliged to like him back, when he obviously liked someone else.

But his crush was really fucking shit up, by making him act like even more of a clown than usual.

"I'm fucking starving," Milo mumbled, searching through his bag for the fruit candies he always carried around. "Wanna get lunch? I haven't eaten yet, and it's like... Three o'clock already. Damn. Have you?"

Xen nodded, it looked like it was almost on instinct, and then he slowly shook his head. "My mom forgot to make lunch for me while she was making it for my dad and for herself," he stated, accepting the grape candy from Milo with a small smile.

"She forgot?" She didn't forget. It was on purpose. How is he not seeing it?

"Not today, Milo," Xen murmured, lips pulling downward into a frown, a contrast from the previous smile on his face. "Please."

Milo knew what that meant. He knew that Xen didn't want to talk about his parents today, so he didn't push. He knew when to push and when to respect Xen's wishes, and shut up. He didn't know before, but he knew now.

Just as he was about to change the topic of conversation, music filled the air, music that he hadn't heard since he was ten. Eyes lighting up, Milo dragged Xen by the hand, rushing all the way out of the skatepark and grinning when he saw the ice cream truck.