31. waiting on you

note: before u read this chapter, i just wanna say sumn. look at this chapter from milo's perspective. thank u.

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

WAITING ON YOU

Milo was overwhelmed.

It was finally December, and just two days ago, Xen had said that he had seen his dad at work, and he was forced to have a conversation with him. Apparently, his parents had made it clear that they didn't give a fuck about where he was living, as long as he went to college. Which, in Milo's opinion, was a really fucking shitty thing to say. To anyone.

But Xen seemed to be okay with it. In fact, he had said that he was more than okay with it, as long as he didn't have to see his parents ever again. So that wasn't what was overwhelming Milo.

It wasn't that Xen had changed his prescription for his pills. That wasn't it either.

Because Xen was actively going to therapy, and even though he had reported back saying that he hadn't made much progress, he'd been able to admit that his parents were abusive a lot more often. So no, that wasn't what was overwhelming Milo.

The fact that he had gone on a date with a guy— well, with Xen, in particular— and he hadn't told his dad yet; that was what was overwhelming him.

It wasn't that he told his dad everything, but at the same time, he told him a fair amount of things. He had never kept big secrets from him, he just didn't feel the need.

Except for his sexuality. That was his biggest fucking secret, and he hadn't said a single word about it to him.

"Okay, I won't be gone for long," Milo's dad began, tying the laces of his work shoes. "Just four days, okay? I'll be back on the sixth. Most of the time, my phone's signal is bad, so if you can't reach me, you know why. Can you manage alone, Milo?"

Rolling his eyes, Milo handed his dad his watch as he glanced up from his cereal bowl. "Dad, you've left us alone at home before. We can manage for four days," he reminded, mostly to convince himself. Hopefully, I won't burn the house down.

"Can you really?" he teased, eyes falling on the giant clock on the wall. He muttered a curse under his breath, not an English one, but one in Mandarin, something that sounded vaguely along the lines of, "Fucking shit." Milo let out a laugh at that, shaking his head.

"You tell us not to swear, but you literally swear all the time, Dad. Hypocrisy."

Laughing, Milo's dad just grabbed his phone and plane ticket from the table, ruffling his hair. He took one more look around the house, before he began to rattle off instructions. "Wake Lia up soon, okay? You need to get to school. If you need help cooking, ask Xen to help. If he's awake, that is. That boy spends half the day in bed. There's enough money for four days, please remember to take your keys if you go out anywhere. We all remember what happened the last time you forgot your keys."

The tips of Milo's ears turned red at that, because he could definitely remember what had happened the last time he forgot his keys.

It involved a very cold day in December, and Milo sitting out on the front porch for hours on end, waiting for his dad to find him. And it wasn't an experience that he wanted to repeat. Ever.

"Aren't you getting a bit late?" Milo questioned, getting up to place his bowl in the sink. His dad cursed again, went over to Milo to give him an awkward hug, before going towards the door. But right before he left, Milo took in a deep breath, and said, "Uh, Dad?"