//ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6//

I let the cold water cool the burns. 

Sure I hissed at the pain, no shit. 

But it gave me time to think. I was able to think about maybe why Baron and Vanessa might do this. Why? 

So why would they do that?

They were sent off with one of the Professor's friends right?

Right?

I slumped in the bath. Sinking just above the bubbles. I peered into the faucet, seeing the reflection of my nose up. 

It was my fault. 

All of it. Erik getting hurt. Scott getting hurt. Hell, even why Vanessa and Baron were there in the first place. The entrance of the Xavier's School has torch marks, scratches, knives embedded in the floor, and the chandelier is cracked in numerous places. 

All. My. Fault. 

The words sunk in and I sniffled. Crippling weight rested on my shoulders, on my head, making it feel like my neck was a twig waiting to be stepped on. I got out of my bath and left the negative energy to go down the drain as I got dressed in some acid-washed jeans with a Blue Oyster Cult tee. I slid my belt through the belt loops, tightening it and setting it in place before lacing up my old beat-up sneakers. 

The negative energy followed me like thunder after lightning. 

I sighed and blow-dried my hair, putting a bit of my styling cream in. I popped in my crescent moon earrings and put on the necklace that Charles had given me so many years ago. I ran my fingers across the small metal circular pendant holding a small diamond. Or maybe it was a rhinestone. 

I smiled softly. The day he gave it to me. 

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰
1971. Xavier's mansion. 10:00.

I walked around in the foyer. Then the library. Then the professor's office. And then Hank's lab. I looked in every single room. Every guest room. Every bathroom. And every closet. And they all were nicer than my room. They all had non-peeling wallpaper. And made beds. And sanded and stained nightstands. 

Beautiful clear glass windows that peered into the sunlight that poured onto lakes and flowers and seemed to make everything glitter. Large oak trees, perfect for climbing and hiding away to read. 

I could finally be left alone. 

I dropped my bags in the room Hank showed me to. I pulled out my portable tape player, grabbing my delicately crafted from David Bowie, Elton John, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Scorpions, and more. I pushed the tape in the slot and put on my headphones. 

Soon enough Black Dog was playing into my ears and I smiled widely. 

I ran up and down the halls, down each staircase, into every room and out every doorway. I thudded and thumped through the entire mansion. I knew he was only taking me in to prove himself. But it was so nice. To finally have a place to call home, where I was safe. Away from trouble. I knew he only was adopting me so that he could prove he wasn't useless. To prove he could still make kids like me happy. 

Kids who had no hope. 

The entire mansion was shut down, sure, but I was finally free. 

"Zeppelin? Zeppelin where'd you go
- Ah, there you are." He gave me this warm smile. One he never gave to my mother or dad. He only smiled at me this way. 

I smiled back with the most genuine smile I'd ever given. 

He hummed "Well, it might be a bit early, but here's a little welcome gift." He smiled and outstretched a small black velvet box to me. 

I shyly took it, looking up at him for confirmation, like I wasn't allowed to take it or something. 

He smiled softer "Go ahead. Open it, Zeppelin." 

I excitedly opened the velvet box, pausing at the beautiful piece of jewelry. The first piece I hadn't stolen. All my earrings, all my rings, bracelets, stolen. 

This though was a gift. It meant the world. 

I looked up at him, brighter than ever with tears streaming down my face like an overflowing sink. 

Charles looked upset, confused even "Zeppelin darling, why the tears? Do you not like it? I can get another for you
-" 

I  sighed shakily as he wiped away the streams of tears "It's perfect. It's...It's so perfect dad." I hadn't even realized that I called him my dad. 
✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

I smiled and looked in the mirror. I sighed and let all my anxiety melt away from memory. I felt so, so warm. And sweet. Like hot chocolate on a winter evening. 

I walked downstairs slowly, Charles just happening to wheel by. He smiled that warm smile 

"Ah! Zeppelin, there you are." He turned my way "Going to see Hank?" 

I nodded a bit before running down the steps and hugging him tightly. Crying a bit now that I realize it. 

He was taken aback of course, but hugged back quickly and rubbed my back

"Zeppelin, did something happen? Is this about earlier? Here, come into my office, we'll talk there, alright?" He looked up at me with a smile.

I nodded and wiped my eyes, following him into his office. I took a seat in a chair as he poured two cups of tea and set them on saucers. He handed one set to me and I took a sip from it. 

"It's my fault...." I said "All of it. It's my fault Erik got hurt, same with Scott. I'll work a job so that I can repair the entrance hall as well..." 

Charles took his place behind his desk "No need Zeppelin. But...It's not your fault. We couldn't have possibly known that Baron and Vanessa were going to infiltrate and take Peter and Ororo as  hostage. We couldn't of known so don't blame this on yourself, Zeppelin." 

I nodded a bit before sighing 

"I'm sorry Dad. All these times I've been such a bitch to you...Never really respected or realized how much you've done for me..." 

I sighed shakily and looked up at him "I love you dad."