III. SEA LEGS

* 

. * .    .  °  . ● ° . 
¸ .  ★ ° :. . • °  . * :. ☆

In the two days that followed, it seemed that Anna was gradually welcomed amongst the crew of the Dawn Treader. Although she was a young woman —— she proved that she could do all the same work as the men, although at times it had taken a while to get used to it due to her inexperience at sea. Anna found that she could chatter at ease with Reepicheep whilst they worked, well, Reepicheep just told her stories of his many adventures and Anna listened. The two had seemed to become a wonderful team and an unlikely duo.

However, nothing seemed to bring joy as much joy to Anna as their duel upon the deck of the ship –– it rallied many surprised faces and lots of laughter. Anna was clearly just a learner, but Reepicheep kindly told her that she had great potential and he looked forward to their rematch.

Yet despite all the wonderful things Anna had experienced she somehow always floated towards King Caspian and he did nothing but welcome it, perhaps more so than his crew members. He had taught her many lovely things from map reading to steering the helm of the ship. In all her life Anna was sure she had never smiled so much before. Her life with her aunt was colourless and honeycombed with melancholy. Anna seemed to worry for her Aunt more than ever but she forced herself to dismiss the matter and focus open her grand adventure.

"Reepicheep," Anna spoke whilst biting into the apple as they both sat together at the bow of the ship, staring out into the waters below, "Why do you think I was brought here?"

The mouse stopped humming his tune and turned towards his new friend, "We shall know in time Anna but I do believe that extraordinary things happen to extraordinary people."

Anna snorted in disbelief knowing that she was far from extraordinary and turned her gaze from the glistening sea waters and towards her friend with a furrowed brow, "You have such lovely advice. Perhaps you'd consider writing a book. I'd promise to read it."

The large mouse chuckled at her suggestion, "Ah, one day, after I've had all my adventures."

"Ones that you promise to bring me on," Anna added seriously with an innocent smile. The mouse patted her hand comfortingly, knowing of her eagerness to explore and see the world, especially after he had told her with his run-in with a dragon. Anna continued to munch on her apple suddenly lost in the imagination of her thoughts.

"I swear the two of you would talk until the ends of time, that is, if it was allowed," Spoke a lilting accent that dripped with amusement. Standing with his hands on his hips, Caspian peered at them, his brown gaze shifting between the two.

"Your majesty!" Anna exclaimed excitedly at the sight of one of her many new friends but in a sense, Caspian had been just a tad bit more special as he was the one that had saved her.

"Hello, Anna," He said as his eyes bore into her own for a long moment, "Is it alright if I borrow you for a moment?"

"Oh yes!" Anna chirped loudly, standing up from the barrel she was seated on, placed her half-eaten apple on it and walked towards Caspian.

She quickly peered up at him and then looked down at her booted feet and clicked them together, "What do you need me for? I'm sorry if I was slacking off with Reep but I promise we were on lunch break but I could sew together some of those worn and torn shirts like I did yesterday––"

Caspian furrowed his eyebrows and rested his hands gently on both her shoulders which had shushed Anna instantly. Caspian peered down at her with a warm smile that she sheepishly returned, rosy blush flooding on her cheeks.

"I was going to ask if you'd like to join the crew, that is, at least until I can find a way for you to return home."

Anna smiled boldly at his words, "I'd be honoured, your royalness. I've always wanted to be a pirate! I'll have to get used to all the slang –– agrr!" Caspian and Anna eyes locked and they both suddenly laughed together, it was in that moment that Caspian realised she really truly was out of this world.

A smiled stretched upon her lips as she took a sudden step forwards and wrapped her arms around the king who was very much so baffled by her sudden embrace. She let go of the king and turned to where Reepicheep humming a little song and staring out into the blue ocean all around them, "Guess what Reep! I'm a pirate too. King Caspian asked me to join the crew!"

The mouse almost fell over at the loud sound of her voice as she bounded towards him and did a little dance of victory. Caspian was about to move away and find Drinian to discuss their current location when he overheard the conversation of Reepicheep and Anna that made him halt in his tracks.

"That is wonderful to hear Anna! You were born with sea legs!" The mouse concluded.

Anna nodded along then seriously spoke, "Reep, do you think I should change my name to Arabella Feathersword? It sounds really priatey and I believe it would be suitable for such an adventure."

"Perhaps not dear friend. Arabella Feathersword doesn't sound very menacing and Anna Sanders seems so much more noble and graceful."

Caspian could almost hear Anna's mind reeling as she munched on her apple before she agreed, "Oh right, that's a notable point. I'm sure I'll think of something much better later on."

Rare silence filtered over Reepicheep and Anna, before Anna suddenly blurted to her friend, "But it was quite original, I'll admit. Captain Hook would be quite proud."

A grin curled upon Caspian's lips as he shook his head slightly at Anna's strange theatrics about pirate names before trudging onwards across the deck whilst his crew munched on their own lunch.

Perhaps it was her —— Anna Sanders the woman he had to pry off a mermaid was turning out to be the greatest treasure he had ever stumbled upon within the heart of the sea.