VII. SMOOTH WORDS

* 

. * .    .  °  . ● ° . 
¸ .  ★ ° :. . • °  . * :. ☆

After leaving the celebrated streets and presented a sword from one of the Lords of Talmar they all ventured to the longboats and returned to the Dawn Treader. Anna knew that after everything that had transpired the day before that a goodnight rest would be a good option but she could not bring herself to retire to her shared quarters with Lucy and rest.

"How did I seem to know that you'd be here?" A melodic voice with a lilting accent hummed beside her. A tired smile etched upon Anna's face as she turned to face Caspian who leant beside her at the bow of the ship.

"A coincidence?" Anna suggested with a raised eyebrow. Anna had turned to face the King with a smile only to find that he was already smiling at her. Butterflies swarmed within the pit of Anna's stomach again and she knew it was a mere matter of moments before blush would flood into her cheeks.

"You fought bravely, Anna. I know that Aslan would be proud. I am." 

Anna dipped her head and smiled once more, brushing numerous blond tresses behind her ear that caught in the salty wind, "You have a smooth way with words, your majesty."

"Caspian, Anna. Address me as Caspian. We are friends, correct?"

"Alright," She surrendered with a soft mumble of her lips.

"Just alright?!" The King repeated peering at the blond who only laughed and turned her attention to the beautiful setting colours of the sun.

"Caspian," She started rolling his name over her tongue and turned to the King but no words fell upon her lips when she met his brown eyes. Anna felt that she had lost the power to speak as she opened her mouth and then closed it.

"Your cheek Anna," The King mumbled reaching out, his fingertip tracing ever so softly over the ugly purple bruise, although it had been slightly bruised when with Anna's brawl with the mermaid, now it only seemed to worsen. It made the King feel horrible and it suddenly dawned upon him that he wished he could protect her from every ounce of harm that may possibly ever come her way.

His hand dropped away to his side.

"It's okay. It didn't kill me. It was just a part of the grand adventure itself. Please loose look that look on your face it wasn't your fault. You don't need to worry, saving me twice now is plenty to make up for it."

"Twice?" Caspian repeated slightly amused.

"Yes. Has your memory of noble deeds been failing you lately, Caspian? Remember the mermaid and that man you shot in the shoulder with your crossbow?"

"I remember," was all he seemed to say.

Anna looked at him dead in the eye, mustering all the strength she had so she could say, "You're a good King and a good man, Caspian. I hope that you know that."