CHAPTER 7

Matter of Trust

By the time the company reached the foot of the rocky promontory, it was sunset.

"We will camp here for the night, but we'll leave at dawn: we cannot risk the orcs reaching us."

Thorin asserted in a decisive tone. Everyone then began to arrange their own bed for the night, while Bombur lit the fire to cook something.

"So, what's it like to have a dragon for a friend?"

Bofur asked Arya jokingly, as they sat by the fire to warm up. Soon they were joined by other dwarfs, intrigued and fascinated by the matter.

"Well, sometimes can be useful!"

The girl answered with a smile, causing a general laugh.

"Besides, it's not just one..."

She added, almost whispering.

"What do you mean, lass?"

Gloin asked her. Arya had the eyes of all her companions focused on her, so she decided to spill the beans.

"There are three of them. Saphira is the smallest, then there is Viseryon and finally Drogon, the largest."

The young woman clarified.

"For all the Valar! Three?! Three dragons! And that would be the smallest?!"

Dwalin exclaimed, expressing with his words the wonder that could be read on everyone's face.

"How did you manage to befriend three dragons?"

Kili asked her, dying of curiosity.

"Oh, but she's not just their friend, young Kili, Arya is their mother!"

Gandalf intervened, leaving everyone speechless again.

"What does that mean?"

Then Bilbo asked, turning to the girl with a slightly confused expression.

"It means I delivered them."

The young woman began.

"It happened while I was in Rivendell. One night, on the advice of King Elrond, I brought the eggs into the forest and set them on fire. At dawn, when I woke up, three little dragons were sleeping quietly at my feet. We are, in a sense, bound."

"What do you mean by bound?"

Thorin stepped in, with the usual serious and intimidating voice wherewith he was able to make everyone uncomfortable, but which had no effect on the girl. Arya was surprised instead of seeing him there, along with them: he was usually on his own when they were camping, or he was arguing with Balin and Dwalin about the trip.

"Well, for example, we can communicate telepathically. That's how I asked for Saphira's help when we were stuck on the tree."

She explained. The young King seemed satisfied with the information received that evening, in fact, he got up and reached his bedroll, followed, as always, by Balin and Dwalin.

Tiredness was beginning to show and, little by little, all the members of the company fell asleep...or almost all.

Arya was lying between Fili and Kili but, despite being tired, she could not sleep in any way. Thus she decided to get up and take a look around. She entered the grove at the foot of the promontory and soon reached a stream. "Probably one of the tributaries of the Anduin" thought the girl before sitting on the shore.
The forest was silent, the only noise you could hear was the quiet flow of the river water, sometimes interrupted by the roar of the leaves in the wind or the bubbling owls.