Sick Baby

"Ok. Tylenol is in the medicine cabinet. There's plenty of chicken-noodle soup and crackers in the pantry. There's also graham crackers in case she doesn't want to eat anything else." I finished giving my mom the rundown and slung my purse over my shoulder. "I love you and I'll see you tonight."  She planted a kiss on my cheek as I rushed out the door.

(-)

"Viv! Table 5!" God, I hate being understaffed. On top of having a sick toddler at home with my mother, we were understaffed, and it was pouring rain. I took a deep breath and made my way to the table containing  a mother and a small child.

"Hi! Welcome to Dexter's Diner, can I get you guys started with some drinks?"

"Yes, we would like two waters please."

"But Momma, I want juice!"

"Braxton, we've been over this. Processed juice has terrible chemicals that will poison your body. We will have two waters and that is final."

"Um, ok. I'll bring those right out." I gave the child a sympathetic glance before heading to the kitchen to get their waters.

As I was headed back to the table, a group of boys came through the door. They were all extremely handsome, and speaking a language I didn't quite understand. I set the waters down on the table and watched as the sat at another table in the corner. One of my tables.

"I'll be right with you," I shouted in their direction. I then turned my attention back to the table in front of me. "Alright, are you ready to order?"

"Yes. I will have the garden salad with no dressing and Braxton will have the chicken-noodle soup."

"Alright," I said as a finished scribbling that down. "I will have that right out for you." I rushed their order to the kitchen and headed for the table of boys. "I am so sorry about the wait. Today's a little crazy."

"No problem," answered the taller one. He had silver hair, glasses, and dimples that just shouted "friendly."

"What can I get you boys to drink?" A few unsure glances were passed around the table before the taller one gave the boy in front of him a nod.

"Um, C-Coke?" he said after a moment in a voice deeper than any I had ever heard. I shook of he surprise it gave me and wrote it down. They went around the table telling me their drink orders, receiving a nod of approval from the taller one once they were finished.

I went to the kitchen and grabbed the drinks, along with the food for the lady and her son. The boys' table was closer, so I stopped there first. I set the drinks on the table and headed to the other table. I set the plates down and was about to leave to run the tray back to the kitchen when the lady stopped me.

"Excuse me, why is there a lemon on my plate and why was my son given crackers?"

"Oh, all salads come with a lemon and all soups come with crackers."

"But I ordered a salad and a chicken-noodle soup."

"Yes, and all salads come with a lemon and all soups come with crackers."

"Miss, not to be rude or anything, but I don't like the tone you are using with me."

"Pardon?"

"You know what, I'll just take my business elsewhere. Braxton, let's go." She grabbed the child's hand and drug him out of his chair. She took a few steps before she stopped, turned around, grabbed her water off the table, and threw it in my face, and walked away.