2. I'm Packing Up My Crayons And Leaving

Day 731

Eyes narrowed in anger, you pace back and forth in your small cell like a caged animal. Perhaps you are a caged animal the way it's been going for the past year and a half. After managing to get off your sinking ship, the lifeboats had drifted for days. Ian and Keyla were the first to go, the two only days after Frederick drowned. Ian refusing to eat until he eventually just threw himself off the raft late one night while everyone was sleeping through a pounding rainstorm, and Keyla waking up to notice, only to dive in after him and not come back up.

Travis took the loss of his girlfriend hard, and the rest of you had to keep a close eye on eachother. When Professor Ivo's ship came up beside the lifeboats early one morning, you had all thought you were finally saved. But only Carter, Marnie and you were taken up into the ship. Bob and Travis were shot in the head as they tried to climb in after Marnie.

Since then, the three of you had been kept in cages alongside a dozen others. After the first year passed, a ragged looking man came in and took Keyla from the cell beside you, throwing a new Russian guy in instead. You had heard her screaming come to an abrupt halt moments later from somewhere in the ship, and could only assume the worst. Carter stayed quiet after that moment. The life draining from his once playful eyes as he awaited his turn. But it never came, and the waiting drove him mad.

You're snapped out of your thoughts as a quiet plea of help comes from the new girl in the cell next to yours where Carter once was, and the faint tang of blood in the air makes your nose wrinkle as your eyes tiredly track the guards walking around the ship.

"No one can save you here blondie." With a sigh, you lean against the bars separating the two of you, and the terrified girl sits as close to you as she can. Seeing that what little clothing she has on is soaking, you peel off your vaguely dry long sleeve shirt and slip it between the bars to give to her. "Put this on, and wrap that sweater thing around your waist."

She thanks you quietly, and pulls the shirt over her head. Your arms feel odd being bare for the first time since being on this hellship, and your tanktop does nothing to bite back the chill, so you fold your arms over eachother and pull up your knees.

"I'm Sara. What's your name?" Her voice almost goes unheard as your gaze darts over to a guard approaching the cell on an adjacent wall, but you turn your head to look at her as she leans against your back through the bars.

"Y/n."

Professor Ivo releases Sara a few hours later, and you grit your teeth angrily as you watch him lead her towards his chambers. Probably to make the same offer he had made to you a couple hours after killing your friends.

Poor girl... how am I going to get all of these people out of here?

Many more days pass before you finally see your chance of escape, and you're becoming impatient as you watch the guards move about.

"You must relax my friend." The Russian man in the cell beside you speaks quietly as he watches what the guards are doing, and you sigh.

"I escape tonight brother. I will return for you and the others when I have a weapon and backup." You lean against the metal bars, and he sits opposite of you.

"Good luck. We are ready."

The prisoners around you all make quiet sounds of agreement as the guards start their shift change for the last time today. Together, you have all created a simple plan based around luck and your ability to hold your breath for long periods of time. You were to play dead, and the others would call over a guard towards the end of the shift. Assuming that the guard would be tired and just want to go to sleep, he would just drag you out and throw you off the side of the boat rather then take you down to the freezer room.

"I'll tell you when to hold your breath. Don't look back." Your russian friend gives your hand one last squeeze through the bars before moving away from the metal divider and clearing his throat as a signal to the others. Closing your eyes, you let yourself fall against the floor and go limp. You keep your breathing shallow, and resist the urge to scratch your nose as the mouse of the man on your other side runs past you.

The prisoners start calling out for a guard, and you feel a slight tug on your hair as the signal to hold your breath. Doing so, you listen to the uneven footsteps of the guard approaching. The heavy, metal-barred door creaks open, and rough hands flip you onto your back.

Slight fear courses through you as you realise that he's going to check your pulse, but as you feel his grimy fingers brush against your skin, the mouse runs past, biting his hand on the way by. With a curse and a grunt of pain, his hand draws back, and he seems to disappear for a moment before suddenly you're being thrown over his shoulder like a sack of potatos.

Clenching your jaw, you slowly breath out as he walks up the stairs, and breath in as he stumbles over the last one. As you feel a slight breeze on your face, a smile almost manages to work it's way onto your face, but you force your face to stay unresponsive as you're hoisted over the edge of something. Cracking open one eye just a sliver, you see a dark sky, and a faint speck of green in the distance that might be an island. Other islands seem to be all around you, but you quickly pick the furthest one to swim to. It may take hours, even a day maybe. But the risk is worth it, because you'll be free.

Then you're being thrown, and your body is weightless for a heartbeat as you take another deep breath and then you're hitting the water painfully. Eyes squeezed shut, you wait underwater for what seems like an eternity before you start to swim upwards.

Just your luck, the ship has kept going towards the closer islands, and you're finally free.