3. This Is Why I don't Socialize

Day 742

The slight chill of the night air makes you glad that you managed to find people, and you hurry towards the faint lights through the trees. At first you were wary of the thought of approaching these unknown soldiers, especially after seeing them seeing up traps. But now your food has run out, and you're not having any luck with hunting. Earlier you had seen a blond man heading this way, so you assumed that this would be a path safe from traps.

A few yards ahead of you, a trio of men dressed in black with guns in their hands appear from another trail, and you wave a hand in the air. "Hey! Over here! I need help!" You stumble over a tree root, and when you look back up, the barrels of three guns are in your face. A starburst of fear shoots through your veins, and your hands are instantly raised over your head as you freeze in place.

"Who are you?"

"How did you get here?"

"Who do you work for?"

Their questions are all thrown at once, and your mouth goes dry as you realise that these people can't be the good guys. The weight of their glares reminds you too much of the stares of the men on professor Ivos ship, and that thought is all it takes for your legs to start moving.

Lunging to the side, you block out their shouts and the rush of adrenaline that hits you makes your movement more jerky then usual as you dart between trees and jump over a patch of wild blueberries.

Branches hit your face as you force your legs to move faster then they're meant to. Yelling sounds out behind you, paired with gunshots and you release a string of curses as a sharp pain explodes in your side. A particularly large thornbush has you darting to the side to circle around it, and you leap over a rotting log.

The voices seem to be getting quieter, as if you've lost the soldiers on your tail, and you hunch over as you see a clearing up ahead. Coughs jolt your body as you rest one hand on your thigh, and the other goes to your left side only to come away wet with your own blood.

"God damnit. Why did there have to be shitty people on this island? Of all the islands I could have swam to, it had to be the one with hostile ones on it..." With a groan and another couple mumbled curses, you manage to stumble into the clearing, where you see two men sparring with bamboo shoots. "Ah wonderful. Killed by bamboo. Fan-fucking-tastic." With that said, you barely notice as they see you and start towards you, the darker haired man bending over to grab a gun as they make their way towards you.

More guns. Great.

Realizing that you don't have the energy or adrenaline to run anymore, you debate on your options for a solid five seconds before throwing your hands to the air in surrender and flopping down onto your ass and waiting for them to get to you.

"I don't want to run from you people any more. Just kill me quickly." You look up at the dark haired man as he reaches you first, and the longer haired man shifts to block the sun from your face as you squint up at them.

"You've been running from people? Slade, she might be on our side." The vaguely familiar blond man crouches next to you, ignoring the warning from the seemingly older man, and you sigh as you nod your head to say yes. He seems to notice your bleeding side, and he looks up to the other man.

"No. Absolutely not. It's bad enough I have to watch out for you, I'm not taking care of a little girl too." Slade's Australian accent nearly makes you pass out right there right then.

"Oh fuck. You must be an angel with a voice like that. Guess I'll sleep now."

If he's 'taking care' of blondie, maybe he's a good guy and I have a chance at not being killed by them.

With that barely coherent thought, you find yourself dropping back onto the ground and drifting off into the blackness of a dreamless sleep.