Chapter Two: Days Gone By

Titled and parodied after The Walking Dead's...

Days Gone Bye ; season 1 episode 1

"Rick?"

"What?" Rick turned to look down the watch tower's post to see Carol climbing the ladder.

Once up, she peered out at the road leading outside of Alexandria, taking a moment to reassure herself that the town was real. That her big family was here and was actually finally safe.

She turned to Rick, flashing a sweet smile before letting her face fall into seriousness. "Are you positive we killed them all? There could be others, more out there", she pushed again, subconsciously putting her hand over her gun's holster to calm her fluttering nerves.

"Carol, we killed them all. The saviors aren't coming back, not even as walkers. If there's any more out there, we'll deal with them if it comes to that. And we'll win." Rick replied, starring out at the road as well, cradling his rifle close. "Was that all you wanted to talk about?" he asked, looking back at her.

"No, I also wanted to say that you're doing great for Alexandria Rick. Hilltop too. We all see what you're doing for us and for them." Carol replied, clearly referring to Alexandria's and Hilltop's people.

"It's not just me. It's everyone. Everyone we've lost. Everyone we've found. They are what's gotten us here. And that, that's everything." Rick said, glancing across the rows of houses and letting a smile settle on his face at the sight of Carl and Judith running together down the street. The sound of their laughter filled the air, bringing soft grins to the watching neighbors.

"I know, but they are what pushed you to get us here. T-Dog, Dale, Hershel, Tyreese, Lori, they were the key. Don't forget that." Carol stated firmly, taking note of the hurt look that flashed in Rick's eyes at the mention of his long dead wife, Lori. "Let me know when Daryl gets back, will you?"

"Yeah, sure. Why?" Rick tighten his hold on his rifle strapped around his chest. Daryl and Aaron had been gone longer then usually and it was no surprise that he was anxious to see them drive up to the gates.

"Just have something I gotta talk to him about. Thanks." Carol said, before turning and descending down the ladder.

"Yeah, yeah." Rick grumbled under his breath, before he was again, turned towards the road.

Daryl and Aaron better be okay.

Daryl and Aaron were not okay.

Okay, well, they were okay. But they weren't okay.

Aside from being locked in their car and surrounded by a couple hundred walkers, beating on the glass and struggling hard to get to them through the temporary protective barrier. No way to escape without the strong possibility of getting eaten, or worse, bit, in the process.

Beside that, Daryl and Aaron were doing quite alright actually.

It had been stupid of them. They wouldn't be in the current ordeal had they trusted their guts and continued on.

Of course not though, as Aaron pushed that they at least checked out some of the houses. He wanted to check for food, preferably canned, as he stated. Apparently finding food was worth the risk of, you know, turning into a living dead corpse.