Chapter 10: What Lies Ahead

Titled after The Walking Dead's...

What Lies Ahead ; season 2 episode 1

Doc panted heavily, his head literally spinning off as hot air pushed in and out of his lunges. Never before had he had to push a person off a cliff and he'd be the first guy to tell you it damn sucks. See Doc was a kindhearted, grey haired, old little man and he didn't like the idea of taking lives.

He understood that some situations come across his family that make it necessary to dispatch another human, however he still feels unnerved by it. It's just, as a believer in the great ass white God in the sky, Doc always felt it was up to him who lived and who died, but maybe that was his therapist side reaching a bit; especially since he kills puppies and kittens all the time without a second thought.

On the opposite side of the spectrum Addy stood dusting her hands off in an overdramatized fashion, not a speck of worry or guilt on her face.

"Should we say something?" Doc asked, daring a peek over the edge. He didn't see much, just trees. That he was thankful for.

"Nah, let's go find the others." Addy replied, a slight shrug in her shoulders. No remorse for killers in her opinion, and she'd hope the same for her if her demise was ever met by the living. She allowed herself one last look at the drop off, before turning around and setting off in a light jog.

Warren's knife met bone and brain matter as it plunged its way through the last standing man's skull. It made a squishing sound as it was then pulled from the now fallen over corpse, dripping fresh blood from the blade. She made a face of disgust, holding it up to the light before recovering and wiping the red coated metal across the weathered coat of the decreased male.

"Yuck." Murphy exclaimed, rubbing his hands together harshly in a rough attempt to rid them of quick drying crimson splatter.

"Ya know, you'd think after all this time seeing the insides of people, it would get easier seeing it up close and personal; and on you." Warren spoke, her mind wandering to Doc and Addy's whereabouts. She hoped they were okay. No, no, she knew they were okay. They had to be; it was Doc and Addy she was talking about here.

"Yeah, yeah. Sure." Murphy answered. "And now?"

"Now we find Addy and Doc, and then 10K."

"Sounds like a plan chief."

It was a long fucking night of bashing brains and swinging arms.

Speaking of arms, Aaron's felt like it was going to fall right off his sweaty, smelly frame. The air around him and his companion burned his nostrils and irritated his already heavy headache. Rotting corpses of recently collapsed zombies surrounded them, creating a thick coating of death floating around in their bubble.

He could feel the car shift with every heave and heavy inhale, exhale, the two men took, the last of their energy nearly drained from their beings. 

"Fuck, I can't wait to have a shower when we get back." Aaron spoke out loud, rubbing some dirt off his arm with an exhausted look in his eyes. 

"Yeah, I can particularly feel the grim in my bones." Daryl answered.

"Ain't that the truth."

"We should stick around, they should be here within the half hour."