Chapter 9

(Here's another one I love

(Here's another one I love. Paul and George)

It was hitting 8pm and a couple cops had dropped by to talk to John again.

 "Mr. Lennon, we've identified your attacker."

 "Oh really? Any one I know?"

 "I'll let you be the judge of that. The name is Mark David Chapman. Ring a bell?"

 "Uh, no."

 A picture was handed to John and he took a close look at it.

 "Come to think of it, he does look a little familiar."

 "So, you may have met him."

 "I don't know. Maybe. I've met hundreds of people throughout the years. For all I know, I met him ten, fifteen years ago.................or last week......................" 

 "Last week? Before you were shot?" Paul asked.

 "Yeh. Now I remember him. He seemed like a nice fellow."

 "What happened when you met him?" A cop asked.

 "Uh, I signed the double fantasy album. I only met him briefly though. And it was the night of, right outside the building. Do you know how long he was watching me?"

 "No. And we still don't know why. But we found his address. He isn't a resident here in New York. He lives in Hawaii."

 "So, by this time tomorrow, he'll be put away right?"

 "I'm hoping it'll be an easy grab but considering the circumstances, he might not be there. He might be in hiding or something."

 "So, in other words, watch me back right?"

 "I could have put a cop on you if you want."

 "Great........just What we were talking about earlier. Do you have a picture of this Chapman bloke?"

 The cop dug into his shirt pocket, pulled out a picture and handed it to him. "We have his face on all the news channels so if he's still in town, he won't get far."

 "Okay. Anything else you want?" 

 "No. That's everything for now. We'll come back if we find anything new."

 "No. Ye'll come back to tell us if he was home or not." Paul said.

 "Uh, yeh. Sure. Okay. We'll come back then."

 Both officers left.

John grabbed one of his lighters and put the picture on fire before setting it in his ashtray.

 "Don't want a momentum from the shooter?"

 "No. But I'm sure his face will be plastered in my head for life now."

 "They'll get him."

 "When? I don't want him to come back and shoot me again. Maybe next time he'll shoot me in the head and I'll die."

 "Don't talk like that. It won't happen."

 "It could happen. You never know. It could happen tonight or tomorrow morning."

 "It won't. Well......not when any of us are here anyway."

 "I do wish you wouldn't say that. There's nothing you can do to prevent it."

 "John, he might not strike again with anyone around. So I would say, yer fine for now."

 "Says you. Right now, I don't feel safe even in my own home. Maybe I will get a body guard. Find out who would want the job. "

(A little short this time!)